This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TBs/SE11 Prone Thoracic Band Pull

Started by Eva Pelegrin, March 9, 2016 · 7 Replies · 213 Views

Eva Pelegrin

I recently started with TB course. For the most part, I can follow along keeping calm and without cursing. However, when I get to Prone Thoracic Band Pull I have instant pain at my lower back/spine.

Back extensions typically give me close angle pain, even without a bungee, so I usually avoid them. I feel it in my spine and all around right PSIS and right QL. Same happens with extension + right rotation. According to an MRI from 2014, I have a bit of impingement on S1 nerve root from L5-S1 disc herniation. Not sure if that’s still there, the reason why or if a contributing factor.

The thing is I can do a bridge, elevated or on the floor (how good it looks is a whole other story) and I know how to stay away from my lower back bothering me, but with back extensions, I simply can avoid the pain. Hopefully, if my spine becomes more pliable with time, it may change. My thoracolumbar fascia is pretty dense. On a good day, that area feels tight and I have mild to moderate discomfort all day long, annoying, but I’m used to it. The problem is that if I do prone back extensions the pain escalates instantly and I can be in higher discomfort for days. 

Should I skip this one altogether? Or how would you modify it. I feel I need to keep working on my thoracic extensibility (if for no other reasons than to stay away from my lower back). Perhaps from a different position like an incline bench (where the body is prone but hinged) I can perform a better PPT and better stabilize/flex my lumbar spine, focusing more on the thoracic extension. Thoughts?

Coach Sommer

Yes, stop the TB series at the prone thoracic band pulls until you have progressed farther into the lower back strength portion of the Foundation SL work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Ok, thanks. You mean stop at SE11 and do not continue with the rest. That's the best part! I can do 12 thru 24 with no pain. it's just that particular one that bothers my spine. Sigh.

Coach Sommer

- If the other elements 12-24 do not irritate the lower back, then you may continue with them.  Just set aside the prone thoracic band pulls for the time being.

- I would however invest extra energy/focus into exploring whether or not mastering the SL PEs leads to an improvement in your lower back for you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Yes and yes. Thank you! Zach's got me improving my Side Over Arch ROM at the bottom and as soon as I get that, I think I'll be able to progress to the other elements.

@Zach Armijo let me now if I can add anything else at the end of my TB of F7, per coach's suggestion.

Eva Pelegrin

Below is my day-1 of TB baseline (2 weeks ago). No lower back pain. I know, not perfect but better than I expected (after 1 year of not practicing any form of bridges). Please excuse my nudity. I wasn’t planning to share this in a million years... but since I have pain, it trump everything.

 Bridge.png.1d030d20f44ed6db66a9862ba3c6d

Today, I spent a little “energy” exploring SL/PE4-5 just to see where I was. So this is not a form check. Just a way to see what my body does cold without tweaking anything. What I discovered is how little my thoracic spine is extending from this position. I know these are strength elements, but to me they felt like mobility work/warm-up, or that’s where I feel my limitation along with my lower back pain.

At first, I thought my lower back pain was due to an impingement on S1 nerve root from L5-S1 disc herniation and L4-L5 posterior disc bulge. That’s what I was told by experts. After watching my clip, I’m questioning the actual cause of my lower back pain. I’m wondering if my lack of thoracic motion is causing my lower back pain (or at least taxing it). Or is my lower back pain inhibiting or limiting my thoracic extension.

I want to supplement my spine work. I know I’m better at Type I motion, but I hate playing coach for myself. I look forward to your thoughts/recommendations. Thank you.

Arch Up

 

Twisting Arch Up

 

 

 

 

Mark Collins

This doesn't surprise me as your lumbar spine does not flex well and spends alot of time in extension. As this is an extension exercise it is compressing the facet joints and posterior structures. As these structures are already compressed they don't like any more compression. I would expect that as your FL and SL progressions improve so will your prone thoracic band pulls.

Again this program is synergistic, so work all elements and it will improve your body in areas you do not expect.

Eva Pelegrin

Yes, I don't want to push my lumbar extension because it gives me pain. If and when my lumbar flexion catches up, PPT and other things will be more doable for me. In the meantime, I'm going to work on thoracic flexion, extension and rotation so I don't feel so jammed up. As soon my stall bars are installed I can crank up the volume with inverted pikes, etc. Any form of pikes is where I've always found relief.