The one arm pushup is an advanced horizontal pushing to element I want to work towards,but Im not sure what its pulling equivalent would be. There's no good information on this online so that also makes me wonder if its a pointless question.
One Arm Pushup Horizontal Pulling Equivalent
Started by Steven Stanek, March 9, 2016 · 9 Replies · 4,504 Views
Yep, fairly pointless. One arm pushups are really no big deal and in no shape or form count as an advanced pushing element.
Far more beneficial to focus on hollowback press development and as a side benefit you will also get a one arm pushup along the way.
Yours in Fitness,
Coach Sommer
2 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:Yep, fairly pointless. One arm pushups are really no big deal and in no shape or form count as an advanced pushing element.
I would loved to have seen Rocky do Hollowback presses in his montages instead of the one arm pushups!!!
Usefulness apart, the pulling equivalent should be the one arm inverted row
After mastering the first three pressing exercises in F1, you should be able to do a few one-armed pushups.
Just echo'ing Coach Sommer's statement here, but I too have found one-arm push-ups and one-arm rows to be fairly easy, especially after having spent the requisite time mastering the HBP and RC Preparatory Elements in Foundation 1. Perhaps they have some usefulness in terms of being unilateral exercises, but that all gets more than covered in the Integrated Mobility drills as well.
Best,
Chris
On 3/10/2016 at 7:28 AM, Christopher Garay said:Just echo'ing Coach Sommer's statement here, but I too have found one-arm push-ups and one-arm rows to be fairly easy, especially after having spent the requisite time mastering the HBP and RC Preparatory Elements in Foundation 1. Perhaps they have some usefulness in terms of being unilateral exercises, but that all gets more than covered in the Integrated Mobility drills as well.
Best,
Chris
Just curious. The one arm push up and row. For push - feet together, minimal to no hip bend, hand below your chest/sternum? For pull - feet together, body horizontal/parallel to floor, no/minimal twisting?
Not criticizing btw.
If you don't mind, I'd love to see a vid of you do it. Would be really cool to watch.![]()
Hey K V, I'll give you the satisfaction of being right without needing a video! I've definitely never done either of those exercises with feet together, although I have done one-arm push-ups just on the opposite leg. I'm sure there was some hip bend as well, as I was was probably trying it on the spot after a few drinks to impress a girl... ha! I'm going to try a few horizontal rows and feet-together reps as well now that you bring it up, thanks.
On 3/12/2016 at 8:30 AM, Christopher Garay said:I was was probably trying it on the spot after a few drinks to impress a girl...
I once did a short one arm pushup contest to impress a girl. Got totally smoked. Then I realized: he was doing it by twisting his torso (opposite shoulder way higher) and huge hip bend. As i was sitting there figuring it out (I was doing something several times harder than he was!) the girl was gushing over him. This is why I don't do exercise contests. *facepalm*
On 3/14/2016 at 11:36 AM, Jason Dupree said:
I once did a short one arm pushup contest to impress a girl. Got totally smoked. Then I realized: he was doing it by twisting his torso (opposite shoulder way higher) and huge hip bend. As i was sitting there figuring it out (I was doing something several times harder than he was!) the girl was gushing over him. This is why I don't do exercise contests. *facepalm*
You actually have to bend your hips sideways toward you pushing arm to balance in a legs together one arm push-up unless you have your hand underneath your sternum like a diamond push-up, but yeah twisting the torso where one shoulder is higher makes it significantly easier which I consider cheating.