This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How to train GB on the cheap

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, March 8, 2016 · 18 Replies · 642 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hi all, 

Am wondering what solutions or ideas anyone has had success with, in terms of working out from home without breaking the bank. I already own ever program up to Rings One (because that will keep me occupied for years to come). I bring up this topic, because, of note, the Manna Progressions and the Press Handstand progressions seem equipment intensive (stall bars as well as Olympic bars and weights). I want to workout from home because my gym sucks and there aren't really any more affordable options within the area of NYC. In trying to do so, though I realize that I would not really be able to effectively train all the elements. FL, sPL, SLS, SL, and HBP don't seem to require any equipment through foundation 1. I already have gymnastic rings for RC and a dowel for HS. I would likely even be willing to buy back straps to augment later progressions for SL. I'm troubled as to how to work around not having free weights or stall bars at my disposal and would like to know people's thoughts. I also have a few weight plates (2.5lbs, 5lbs)  dumbbells of about 5-10lbs, a swiss ball, furniture sliders, and therabands, but that's about it.

In addition, the at-home wi-fi would enable me to more readily follow the Pro+ videos without having to deplete my phone data (didn't go so cheaply last month and I've had to back off on the follow-along videos when at the gym, as a result). I've also thought about breaking it up so that certain elements I do on one day at the gym and then the others I train at home. I know that all of this is less than optimal, but I'm wondering if there are any solutions people have come to, because training at home seems much more engaging, much more affordable, and frankly, I've just about had it with having to pay to work out somewhere where I am asked every time to put my shoes back on, my shirt back on (when filming form checks), told that I don't know what I'm doing to myself by training Jefferson Curls, and to be careful with inside squats because I'm going to hurt myself.

 

Today is HS and TBs. The Stretch Series are quite compatible with home training, but I'm not sure where I will train pHS/PE1 but I'll have to improvise. 

Sean Wood

Not sure if this will be helpful in any way but I'll offer my suggestions since we are of similar opinions. I too have changed focus to a home style gym set. I've overcome many other equipment challenges by using galvanized piping with different connections and flanges that can be anchored to walls or floors and manipulated into many shapes and angles. Basic stuff found at any hardware store. Sure it's not wood or pretty but it's cheap.  A little creativity and I've made outdoor pull up stations, dip stations with galv and 4x4s etc. Easy enough to create a makeshift barbell out of galv. but I would prob hit the Craig or kijiji sites for cheap sales on used barbells. Hyperextention units fairly inexpensive on Amazon but if you have a fix bar on a wall to anchor your feet under, wrapped in a dollar store pool noodle and duct tape, with a Swiss ball, that can be a make shift of the same possibly. Googling home made fitness equipment gave me many ideas.

Unless corrected, I would think the Olympic bar is mainly due to the convenience of the weight of the bar empty at 45lbs. Something that can be replicated with a regular old wieder bar and more weight added to it to match the same.

The majority of stuff I have now I've acquired over time to replace my galv stuff by waiting patiently for deals on used stuff. Eventually you will find it for sale due to the popularity of bodyweight stuff and people that try it and quit. At the point I need to I was going to see what it might look like to make stall bars using galvanized T-ends with flanges anchored to a wall at set intervals with wood doweling going through them. Probably will have to lag bolt a 2x6 across for support. Course may be easier to just save up for one too. ;-)  I have spare parts kicking around so I try to repurpose them. 

I'm sure your a smart man and I haven't enlighten you much but if I was to channel the spirit of Coach, I would say deal with first things first, If you're not running into this issue now then don't worry about it and ask specifically when you do and I'm sure there will be many solutions offered by the coaches. Good bet ....better than mine. Take care  

Adam Kirby

I use a cheap doorway pullup bar for pHS/PE1 and iM.  The kind that tightens between the frame so you can place it at any height.  It won't work for every stall bar exercise but can for some of them.

Sean Wood

As another thought for those that may have power cages for lifting. With a bunch of free or cheap broom handles I think it would be possible to do a make shift stall bar set up by pushing the handles through where the steel safety bars go. I tried it on mine to see if strong enough and it seems to be. The distance between supports seem to be short enough that the thinner wood seems to still hold its strength. Test with caution though as I didn't try with full weight.....

Jon Douglas
1 hour ago, Sean Wood said:

As another thought for those that may have power cages for lifting. With a bunch of free or cheap broom handles I think it would be possible to do a make shift stall bar set up by pushing the handles through where the steel safety bars go. I tried it on mine to see if strong enough and it seems to be. The distance between supports seem to be short enough that the thinner wood seems to still hold its strength. Test with caution though as I didn't try with full weight.....

Don't think I'd be willing to do SL pulls or inverted work on broom handles....

Ryan Bailey

You can build your own stall bars :), Or ask someone to help you out with that. If you move, you can take it with you, putty up the walls ect. 

Sean Wood

 good point Jon.  Perhaps I should have stated rather to use wooden doweling instead. Broom handle was all I had to quickly test the idea that came to me at the time. in hindsight I guess that did sound a bit stupid :facepalm: thank goodness you moderators are on the job to save the innocent from me lol 

 

Sean Wood
1 hour ago, Ryan Bailey said:

You can build your own stall bars :), Or ask someone to help you out with that. If you move, you can take it with you, putty up the walls ect. 

 Exactly Ryan, I've saved plans I found in the forums here to make my own perhaps down the road. lately I've been giving all my crap a hard look. Thinking of selling off some stuff that I don't see will be of any use in my GST journey to get things like stall bars or whatever and make room to move. 

 Not sure though, I have a local gymnastic club that doesn't really have any organized adult training like what's here. I started a brief talk with them to see if they want to try to build on it using this modality, and there is some interest. So if it works at least I'll have the space and most epuip needed with the exception of any weighted mobility. I don't think the concept is on their radar. Who knows what the future holds.

 Sorry Daniel for hijacking your thread, a bit off topic. 

Jonathan Kachlon

I spent somewhere between $400-500 (not all at once) to get my entire at home GST set up.

Rings, stall bar, pull up bar, two panel mats, PVC pipe with ankle weights, dumbbells, and all my stretching equipment.

Stall bar was the most expensive thing from amazon, $200. All the dumbbells and ankle weights to add weight to the PVC pipe i got from goodwill or I'm sure any used sporting good place will have it, think I spent $30 on all those. Pull up bar was probably $30 bucks to build in my yard. I was lucky enough to find a scaffolding someone was throwing out that looks just like a set of parallel bars. stretching stuff like bands, medicine ball etc... got from amazon.

I lay the panel mats along the floor open up the sliding glass door and enjoy my own private gym.

Totally worth it. Also a lot easier to convince friends to workout with you since they don't need a gym membership!

Probably going to be investing in the back strap for the stall bars when they are back in stock.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

That sounds clutch. Do you happen to have the amazon links for the items you bought? $400-$500 is certainly within the budget and your tips are quite appreciated. 

Jonathan Kachlon

Stall Bar

Panel Mats

Stretch Strap

Blocks

That's pretty much everything i got from amazon.

The rest is from home depot, play it again sports, and gym bodies store.

If you live in an apartment I would just get one of those hang from the door pull up bar set ups and just make sure you aren't putting pressure in the wrong direction so it doesn't fall off the frame :lol:

Keilani Gutierrez

first purchase was rings. 

made my own stall bars from home depot materials($130-ish mounted on my wall).

dumbbells were gifted (two 10lb) I bought a 20lb( cant recall price) some time ago + Olympic bar($65 at sears) for Jefferson curls and bought a smaller weighted bar for dislocates( can't recall price, but it was a 3 piece Golds Gym one). though, i got gifted some weighted plates which, had i known in hindsight, i wouldn't have bought the Olympic bar.

I also bought a roman chair(from amazon, $71) for arch ups, but I'm bummed I can't perform GHR on them. still, i like it. maybe the pad can be remade to accommodate GHR but i haven't looked into that yet.

I really want to make a pull up bar, parallel bar, stall bar hybrid out of metal / wood.

Fabio Paulus
13 hours ago, Keilani Gutierrez said:

first purchase was rings. 

made my own stall bars from home depot materials($130-ish mounted on my wall).

dumbbells were gifted (two 10lb) I bought a 20lb( cant recall price) some time ago + Olympic bar($65 at sears) for Jefferson curls and bought a smaller weighted bar for dislocates( can't recall price, but it was a 3 piece Golds Gym one). though, i got gifted some weighted plates which, had i known in hindsight, i wouldn't have bought the Olympic bar.

I also bought a roman chair(from amazon, $71) for arch ups, but I'm bummed I can't perform GHR on them. still, i like it. maybe the pad can be remade to accommodate GHR but i haven't looked into that yet.

I really want to make a pull up bar, parallel bar, stall bar hybrid out of metal / wood.

For my future investment: What does GHR stand for? I would like to buy one on which I also can do these, if possible :)

Adam Kirby
14 hours ago, Jonathan Kachlon said:

Is that stall bar sturdy enough?  The price is right, but I'd be concerned about the strength of it.

Jonathan Kachlon
55 minutes ago, Adam Kirby said:

Is that stall bar sturdy enough?  The price is right, but I'd be concerned about the strength of it.

My buddy is 6'6 230 and he used it without any issues. Pretty intensely I might add.

 

In the reviews the only concern people seemed to have was that it was hard to put the dowels in. I used my trusty hammer and just banged them in there without any issue at all.

Adam Kirby
9 minutes ago, Jonathan Kachlon said:

My buddy is 6'6 230 and he used it without any issues. Pretty intensely I might add.

 

In the reviews the only concern people seemed to have was that it was hard to put the dowels in. I used my trusty hammer and just banged them in there without any issue at all.

Ok fantastic, that's great to know.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Yeah this is seriously helpful. Once I get some cashflow i'm gonna look into these purchases. They're bookmarked for now.

Keilani Gutierrez
4 hours ago, Fabio Paulus said:

For my future investment: What does GHR stand for? I would like to buy one on which I also can do these, if possible :)

Glute Ham Raise :) 

if the platform were more round, i could get away with it. but the position you end up in extension phase of an arch up doesnt really let you "hinge" with the hamstrings. you end up falling off the chair or maybe, im just too weak :P

Jonathan Kachlon

Glad to help!