This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mastery then moving on to the next level

Started by Arpad Halasz, March 8, 2016 · 4 Replies · 149 Views

Arpad Halasz

I bought the foundation series last week because I believe it will be a great help for my ashtanga yoga practice.

I tried the mastery of the first level in all 7 series (one day I do 4 and the other 3) and had no problem at all so my question is simple : Do I practice the mastery of a given level for a whole week (it will be 2 or 3 sessions with the 5 days training cycle) before moving on or do I only do it once and try then next level at the next training session?

Jeremy Huston

Assuming you passed both the strength and mobility for each item, you can move on.

Arpad Halasz

Thanks for the answer. Yes, I passed both. Mobility is actually the easiest for me coming from yoga, I can already do many kinds of splits and hips opening positions but I can see the strength part giving me a hard time pretty soon in some series :)

Strength wise I can do weighted pistols with a 32kg kettlebell, 1 arm pushups, weighted pullups with 60kg additional weight, L and V sits but when I tried the planche, levers and manna I failed miserably.

Si Hoang

Hey Arpad. I think Foundation will make a great addition to your yoga. I am still trying to sell my yoga practicing sister on the benefits of it!

You are lucky if the mobility is easy for you. Most of us here are held back by our severe lack of it.

Good luck with it!

Gabor Kulcsar

You might want to check out Handstand 1 (and 2, if a pancake is a "piece of cake" for you (sorry for the pun)), it is at least as fundamental as the Foundations. Being mobile and strong at the hips is one thing, being mobile and strong at the shoulders is a completely different story though.