This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/SE2 form check

Started by Kai Ewert, March 8, 2016 · 17 Replies · 271 Views

Kai Ewert

Here is a shot at MN/SE2. I actually did this set after a mastery test. I had done a single set of them before and thought "not bad at all", but once again, full mastery is a different story thanks to the iM. When I reviewed the video, I also noticed some things that I wanted to check in about:

1. Am I overdoing it with the angle of the legs? Should I aim for strictly horizontal instead of steeper as in the video (which I did because exactly horizontal is a bit hard to feel and I didn't want to not master because of that)?

2. Any other comments? Tempo? Chest? ...

Thanks!

Kai

Kai Ewert

Bumpity...

Comments, anyone?

Keilani Gutierrez

i dont see the video :) 

Cole Dano

Chest could be more up and scaps more depressed, Should be an easy fix.

Coach Sommer

Knees are a little too high.  Goal should be horizontal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Kai Ewert

Thanks everyone for the input. I will work to fix and likely repost a video once I think I have the form down.

 

Kai Ewert

https://youtu.be/3X73Bdscv9s

Here's another go at mastery for this element. Please give me your comments.

 

Cole Dano

It's improved since the last posting. 

Still would like to see the knees a bit lower (leg more horizontal) and the butt a little higher. In part that may be due to your elbows not being locked out. But overall both of these are far better than earlier.

 

Kai Ewert

Thanks Cole. I will have to pay extra attention to the elbows next time, as it is not my intention to bend them. My setup with the handstand canes is a bit weird for that though. 

When you say butt higher, is that literally vertically higher or more forward with respect to the hands?

Cole Dano

Yeah I can see that the canes might be part of the issue but you'll manage it.

Butt vertically higher, that come from pushing into the arms and working on keeping the scaps down. Ideally we should see some air between the blocks of the canes and your butt.

Kai Ewert

Here is another shot at this, taking your comment of more depression to heart. I have to fight quite a bit for that and realized that that was not something I was aware of when I did SE1. Is the standard there to have butt above hands throughout? If so, I should probably go back and retest/redo...

 

Kai Ewert

and another, which I think I shot after looking at the previous one and thinking (reading some of A. Mainente's comments on other threads) that I need to keep my torso straighter than in the previous video

 

Alessandro Mainente

The problem it is not the depression bu the retraction. IN fact your spine it curled and not extended. the main goal must be open the cest.

During the mobility palm flat on the floor it is required, in order to take off some advantages I ask to my kids to lift the fingers from the floor, this makes impossible other facilitation.

Kai Ewert

Well looking through the various threads there seem to be different levels of hunched-over-ness that different coaches allow/tolerate. I appreciate your highlighting of the highest standards, which also make total sense for the upcoming manna progressions (after Straddle-L). 

When I first started the "L-sit series", it appeared to me (from the progressions) as focused on core strength, but thanks to all the comments in this and other threads I now realize that it's all about the scaps. So I think I might be best advised to step back to SE1 and work the scap positioning there or in the even simpler progressions you mentioned. 

Great tip about the iM, thanks! I "look forward" to trying it that way... :P

Kai Ewert

@Cole Dano, did you have something to add to Alessandro's comment?

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Kai, rather than think only about standard I prefer that the more advanced elements are built up on the major focus point. I consider the SE2 a sort or more complicated SE1.

the only one focus point of SE1 on the course clearly stated that "open chest" should be maintained during the bent L-sit. 

Focus Points

1) With an open chest and depressed shoulders, maintain the knees at hip level for the entire duration of each set.

There is no reason to think that this particular detail should not be held during the following element. it is like to say that elbow plank needs protraction but you can retract on the following. habits must be solid from the basic exercise. 

At this point I'm in the situation of asking you to post the mastery of SE1.

Kai Ewert

I hear you Alessandro. Let's just say I read "open chest" rather than "full retraction" so I could move on :). 

I'm pretty sure we'll have to start with a form check at less then mastery level for PE1 with my new understanding. I'll probably post that in a new thread when I film it. 

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

it is easier to try on yourself that you cannot open the chest without retraction and depression.