This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3 Week 1 - Form Check

Started by Kevin Easton, March 5, 2016 · 11 Replies · 154 Views

Kevin Easton

 

(excuse the mess.  It's the "storage corner" of the basement)

I know these reps are not perfect.   I find the leap from PE2 to PE3 to be rather tough.  

What are the biggest flaws in this video?

I feel like I'll be on these for a long time. 

Ville Pelto

You need to protract and depress your scapulas. And engage ppt. And not sag the body

Kevin Easton

Man, when I am doing the exercise it doesn't feel as bad as the video looks.

I feel like I really need to mentally focus on protracting the scapula.  If I don't actively think to really push the scapula forward I don't instinctively do it.  Something to really focus on.

In regards to the PPT, I have really bad anterior pelvis tilt that I've never address.  Heavy squatting, skate, etc made it worse.  Add in the bad flexibility - tight lower back, tight hip flexors, and weak abs I have a real uphill battle that I am actively dealing with.

I have been stretching  and the other Foundations exercises have been blasting my core pretty good.  It's a work in progress, but I'm working on it.

Ville Pelto
1 hour ago, Kevin Easton said:

Man, when I am doing the exercise it doesn't feel as bad as the video looks.

I feel like I really need to mentally focus on protracting the scapula.  If I don't actively think to really push the scapula forward I don't instinctively do it.  Something to really focus on.

In regards to the PPT, I have really bad anterior pelvis tilt that I've never address.  Heavy squatting, skate, etc made it worse.  Add in the bad flexibility - tight lower back, tight hip flexors, and weak abs I have a real uphill battle that I am actively dealing with.

I have been stretching  and the other Foundations exercises have been blasting my core pretty good.  It's a work in progress, but I'm working on it.

Yeah it doesn't activate instinctively. Maybe when you've done it for 10 years with perfect form. Even then 

Eva Pelegrin

Exactly. That's why it is so important and helpful to film ourselves beacause what we perceive or think we're doing may actually be completely different.... And the sooner you find out the better.

Ryan Bailey
4 hours ago, Kevin Easton said:

In regards to the PPT, I have really bad anterior pelvis tilt that I've never address. 

I hear ya Kevin. The PPT and low back sway is what is keeping me on HBP PE2. I did 5x15, 3 months ago... but not with enough PPT and good protraction depression strength.

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Exactly. That's why it is so important and helpful to film ourselves beacause what we perceive or think we're doing may actually be completely different.... And the sooner you find out the better.

That's it. That harsh reality tastes terrible, especially when you keep watching the video of yourself trying to find spots that mitigate it. I have certainly done it my share.

You'll get it. This makes it easy to point out what needs to be fixed, which in turn makes it easier to concentrate on, in turn resulting a fix. Go forth and conquer and good on you for staring it in the face.

Wayne Grima
10 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

Exactly. That's why it is so important and helpful to film ourselves beacause what we perceive or think we're doing may actually be completely different.... And the sooner you find out the better.

Ditto, I hear you all. I posted my mastery form check on HBP/PE2. Felt pretty good on the

whole, viewed my vid and thought eeewwww, gets a bit sloppy towards rep 15 but might be ok.

Anyways upload my check and the thumbnail was HORRENDOUS!!, and I new it wasn't going

to be to standard.But I feel I'm getting to know what to look for in most elements after an initial

feedback now.

Kevin Easton

is there anything positive going on in that video?   

Kate Abernethy
22 hours ago, Kevin Easton said:

is there anything positive going on in that video?   

You are keeping your elbows in front of your wrists, and thus keeping the lean on. :)

Yes, it's a very tough one but it will come.

William Marler
On 3/6/2016 at 5:08 AM, Kevin Easton said:

is there anything positive going on in that video?   

Lol, I've been working on this element's predecessor for ages and every time I post a new vid I feel like the answer is "no." <sigh>

There's lots to feel good about here, even if your PPT/protraction isn't great. You stay solid throughout the entire movement -- you don't have a "wave." You are also pausing at the bottom of your motion well and are very in control (you're not twitching, or shaking, or fidgeting). "Solid" comes to mind.

One question: I looked through your posted content and you didn't post a form check for HBP/PE2, pushups. Perhaps it would be beneficial to do so? I know I've claimed mastery prematurely and it's only been to my detriment.

Kevin Easton

Yah, I am thinking I might have to go back to HBP/PE2.  I think if I go back I am going to have some issues to fix.