This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Yes, another deload question

Started by Kevin Easton, March 5, 2016 · 7 Replies · 233 Views

Kevin Easton

How long should a Deload last?

 

For example,  If I can do Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 all in my first attempt and I do 3 workouts per week I have completed them all in 1 week.  The next part would be a deload.

Do I do the deload for 1 workout?

Do I do the deload for 1 calendar week?

How do I determine how long the deload should last?

The above situation I have come across a few times.  Other instances it takes me a couple weeks to get through a cycle (Step 1, 2, 3, etc).  Perhaps I spend 2 weeks on Step 3 before passing it.  I then come to a deload.  How long do I deload in this situation?

 

Maksis Riley

I believe, and I may well be wrong here, that each step should last a least a week. So if you are on step 1 performing f7 3 days/ week you would repeat step 1 for all three of those workouts. I'm not certain on this, so maybe wait for clarification, but I'm fairly sure the reason for the change from "week" to "step" is to stop people progressing before they are ready, not help fast track it :)

 

Max

Ryan Bailey
1 hour ago, Kevin Easton said:

For example,  If I can do Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 all in my first attempt and I do 3 workouts per week I have completed them all in 1 week.  The next part would be a deload.

What the heck. I'll take a stab at some answer because I want to know if I have this right in my own training.

In the new article https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/how-mastery-works/?_ga=1.156771067.1720506954.1423510229

Point 2 states deload is every 4th week.

 

1 hour ago, Maksis Riley said:

I believe, and I may well be wrong here, that each step should last a least a week. So if you are on step 1 performing f7 3 days/ week you would repeat step 1 for all three of those workouts.

 

In the intro articles, under getting started https://my.gymnasticbodies.com/f-start/

There is a scenario where you test mastery sets/reps, if passed, move on to the next PE/iM the next workout, if passed, move on ect.

I want to make sure I have this correct as well...

F7 3x/week:

For example, my first workout this (3rd) week of the bloc was Hinge Rows, RC PE1/iM "Step 9", I completed this.

2nd workout was RC PE2/iM "Step 9", I completed this.

3rd workout RC PE3/iM.

Next week, the 4th week, is deload of 50% sets/reps of PE3.

Hope this is correct and a happy to hear feedback or corrections.

Kevin Easton

I am not sure if the answer is obvious and I am over thinking it

OR

Someone other than myself is also a bit confused.

Someone more familiar with the program can probably answer this pretty quick

Cory Fair

One step per week. Deload also then lasts one week.

Mastery testing is built into the workout scheduler, simply use that as it does everything completely for you.

The overall programming is not changing at all, the only difference is we're making it more obvious that if you can't do Step 1 you don't do Step 2. 

Kevin Easton

So...

If I am able to do the prescribed reps and sets for a step the first attempt, I should still stay on that step for the whole week before moving on.

I have been moving on to a new Step as soon as I am able to successfully complete all my reps/sets and not keeping the same Step for the whole week. 

Cory Fair

Do a mastery test first for an element to see where you should start. Then only one step at most per week after. Remember we are training connective tissue too so there needs to be time to adapt instead of doing your max every workout.

Kevin Easton

Thanks Cory, I got it now!