Hi guys,
To cut a long story short, I boxed for years with no shoulder issues, then got into olympic weightlifting/powerlifting and injured my shoulders. Partial proximal bicep tear, supraspinatus impingement/minor tear, no surgery was performed on this injuries, instead I rehabbed and often training around injuries. Finding ways to perform exercises without pain ingrained some very poor motor functions leading to very poor scapular mobility particulary in my right side where I still suffer inpingement to this day.
I have been offered coaching work at a local boxing club and at a mma gym, to get back into this and coach people I need my full ROM back, full scapular mobility and be able to throw hooks without pain. I know I can do this with the help of those with good knowledge of shoulder mechanics. I also want to incorporate gymnastics routines into my routines and stop barbell training for overall shoulder health.
I was shocked when I seen the video of myself. Right shoulder sits lower (this is the one I suffer impingerment in)
I find it near impossible to even activate the lat on my right side (noticed this earlier when playing around with a thera band but the left side activates with ease, this side of my shoulder gives me very little issues. Its the right side which I find hard to activate my lat, this is the side I suffer impingement on.
I tried to do an exercise to activate the serratus anterior (where you pull a band around your back), it activates on the left, but yet again, I feel nothing on the right side, the very side that I trained around while injured.
I noticed even my body looks twisted when I try to stand up straight with good posture, I once had a over 3 times bodyweight deadlift, a 2 and a half times squat and for this reason I am very stiff, I aim to increase mobility in my hips, hamstrings and spine over the next few months - I have no injuries in this area and I am relatively pain free.
Video to come shortly, thank you very much for listening.