Arthur Zanetti training

Started by Eduardo Paul, March 4, 2016 · 9 Replies · 8,888 Views

Eduardo Paul

I've just seen this pic of Arthur Zanetti on his facebook page. He's using something that appears to be a weight vest, but at the same time cables that seem to be there to help him somewhat. It looked quite weird, but being an Olympic golden medalist, I would think he must know how to train. Does anyone know what that's for?

56d9fc5940373_arthurzanetti.jpg.5c55fb25

Alessandro Mainente

The aid apparatus is the dream machine that cuts off the 50% of the weight. if you want to do more reps in a row and scale down the intensity you can use it. bty when the 50% becomes easier you need to add some more weight considering that also the weight you add will be always divided by 2. probably he could use the dream machine for balandin 1,2 or 3 or generally for butterfly mount.

Eduardo Paul

Just searched for it on google. It's quite a clever gadget! Would it be a nice tool to be used for developing general ring strength or should it be restricted for advanced movements only? If so, can you say why?

John Koliopoulos

We have one at our gym and I would only recommend using it for very difficult transitions or doing more reps to increase muscle memory.

For holds like cross there are better ways to train from my experience. 

Ville Pelto
16 hours ago, Eduardo Paul said:

Just searched for it on google. It's quite a clever gadget! Would it be a nice tool to be used for developing general ring strength or should it be restricted for advanced movements only? If so, can you say why?

Its absolutely useless for normal people. Maybe if you need to do some weightless skillwork to get a feel into the movement then sure

Eduardo Paul
8 hours ago, Ville Pelto said:

Its absolutely useless for normal people.

That's far from obvious to me. It seems with this stuff you would be able to do the movement from day one and gradually increase the resistance. I find it hard to see how that can be absolutely useless. I don't mean I believe it would be the best way. If the experienced coaches are saying there are better ways, who am I to disagree? It's just that my intuition tells me it should be better than absolutely useless.

Ville Pelto
58 minutes ago, Eduardo Paul said:

That's far from obvious to me. It seems with this stuff you would be able to do the movement from day one and gradually increase the resistance. I find it hard to see how that can be absolutely useless. I don't mean I believe it would be the best way. If the experienced coaches are saying there are better ways, who am I to disagree? It's just that my intuition tells me it should be better than absolutely useless.

It doesn't overload the right places to get the specific type of progress needed. Coach Sommer has said (i think multiple times) that they are a waste of time, for normal people.

Coach Sommer

No, they are not useless.  

However there is a 'foundation' of both basic strength and fundamental ring strength that must be built first in order to benefit from such specialized programming.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane

Build the basics for a few YEARS before you get one of those. I played around with one of those a few years back, got hurt, put me out of training for a while. There is nothing worse than being injured! They look fun, are fun but can come and bite you!

Eduardo Paul

Thank you guys for the clarifications. It's good to know they shouldn't be used by beginners. I'm working on my foundations, so there's many years ahead before I even think about trying this stuff.