One Arm Pull Training

Started by jamesters, October 25, 2009 · 2 Replies · 2,031 Views

jamesters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZABrMpvcXM

I'm planning on getting into rock climbing soon which will hopefully help me get better at my pathetic excuses for one arm pull ups and curl ups. However, I'm wondering if there's any other good exercises I can work on in addition to the drills in my video.

In the pulls from a block I focus on speed. On the rope, I can do cirques very easy (much longer than I showed on video) so I started working that with my arm further from my chest. On pull ups, I work from the top of the bar since that's hardest for me, whereas on curl ups I work on the lower portion of the curl since that's much harder than the top for me. On the last part I focus on isometric contractions at the angles that are difficult for me.

braindx

I assume you can do full negatives correct?

I would only work weaknesses once you're close. Right now looks like you probably need full ROM negatives work with both arms. Also, assisted positives such as with a lower rope to hold onto, or pulleys, or things such as pinky assist may help. The majority of the work should be with negatives. That's how most people do it.

Weight pullups may help as well.

Once you can do uniform speed down ~5-7s negatives for the same arm about 4-5x in a row you can probably do a OAC/OAP.

John Sapinoso

Agreed, full rom on the cirque cycles, the one arm rows are torquing a bit much as evidenced by the elbow angle at the top of the rep.

[=