This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Piriformis pain

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, March 2, 2016 · 16 Replies · 439 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

So, a few weeks ago I finally got around to doing Pro+ alongside the follow-along videos (as I had at first been incorrectly using the program) and as such I tweaked what I fathom is my piriformis (outside of hip/glute and where tightness is felt most often in swivel hips and inside squats prior to mastery). I have been incorporating the piriformis stretch and yoga pigeon poses to try and offset it, but the niggling pain still presents itself intermittently. My range of motion and movement isn't limited, but sometimes I experience pain and tenderness in that region. This is most likely because I'm deskbound for a good chunk of every day as I'm working on my Master's thesis. 

I'm writing to inquire if any enlightened minds know of any good stretches or integrated mobilites to work on this trouble spot in my hip area (that is most likely my piriformis or glute medius).

In addition, I've had a really hard time feeling the piriformis stretch in MSs. I've tried doing it a different way almost every time I do the series and am still unsure of how/where to feel it most. My gut tells me to scale it back (as I'm likely not as flexible as the athletes in the video), but then I end up doing the yoga pigeon pose and Coach mentions that that is a fake piriformis stretch and so I'm left at a loss. Thanks in advance. 

Ryan Bailey

 

33 minutes ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

This is most likely because I'm deskbound for a good chunk of every day as I'm working on my Master's thesis. 

Treadmill desk or standing desk. Keeps you off your piriformass 

Maksis Riley

Hey Daniel, I can't offer any wisdom on your injury, I'm afraid.

 

But for the piriformis stretch, you could try putting a bolster under the thigh of the bent leg, and gradually reduce it over time. With the support it's easier to try and square the hips which for me, gives the best stretch.

 

Hope it helps and I hope your injury subsides!

Max

Alexander Egebak

A tight piriformis will irritate the close-by sciatic nerve because of a construction of its natural pathway.

Internal hip rotations like sPL PE1 performed correctly should even the tightness out over time. Reduced sitting time and time where the hips are externally rotated would help too.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
10 hours ago, Ryan Bailey said:

 

Treadmill desk or standing desk. Keeps you off your piriformass 

My piriformass, lol. I like that. I have an adjustable laptop stand. I've just been sitting as of late. Gonna go back to standing.

 

Still need to figure out that piriformis stretch.

 

EDIT: Yeah, standing even after an hour already feels better on the outside hip.

Eva Pelegrin

Daniel, 

I also switched to a standing makeshift desk. I elevated my screen (from a typical L desk) where my eyes are aligned with the top edge of my screen while standing (intentionally not at the center). Then, elevated my keyboard and mouse with separate boxes that I can move around, as I often switch "mouse hands."

After much experimenting, I’ve come up with my own solution. This is going to sound unconventional or like I’m a lunatic. The reasoning for my individual set up is so that I can work from a WIDE Horse Stance with a PPT, LOL! Crazy right? Once I squat down a bit, my eyes fall perfectly in the center of my big screen. 

In addition, I tweak my Horse Stance with TOES IN (internal rotation). This might help you. I bent my knees slightly and adduct a bit (similar to sub max inside squat) targeting several of my weakness at once. Naturally, I cannot sustain this position for hours, but minutes at a time. I also change my generally wide stances to a split stance w/ PPT, Hip Tilts, 1/2 Waiter’s Bow and change my feet position often. I even do side to side toe tab (a la Jane Fonda), if I’m reading something.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Not sure how my girlfriend would take to Jane Fonda exercises, haha, the GB curriculum is already a big part of my day-to-day. The horse stance seems intriguing, though, so I will investigate it myself.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Well, I finally figured out how to get into the MSs Piriformis stretch.... I have to put my front leg up about a foot of the ground  on the seat of a couch (so my front leg is in the 90/90 and my torso is upright). Only in doing that was I able to maintain a good position and really feel it in where I believe is the piriformis (given the google image searches for piriformis). Yet, another setback, but at least, I know where to go from here. Doing it on the floor will be a nice progression in a few months' or year's time. 

Jon Douglas

That's in no way a setback my man; stretching where it should be is progress! 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

A setback (to my ego).

Mark Collins

Self massaging with a lacrosse ball usually works wonders.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
1 hour ago, Mark Collins said:

Self massaging with a lacrosse ball usually works wonders.

Oh, I know. Been using a rumble roller, rad roller, and lacrosse ball on my IT, gluteus medius, thoracic, lat and pec minor for a while. Makes me feel like a ninja afterwards. Then I usually go to sleep and wake up having to rinse and repeat, lol. But, things are coming along. My cooldown of dislocates felt really good today; as did the TBs; and I could finally do wall extensions (though supine) with the correct form. Now to work on ROM and to stay consistent...

Keilani Gutierrez
3 hours ago, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Oh, I know. Been using a rumble roller, rad roller, and lacrosse ball on my IT, gluteus medius, thoracic, lat and pec minor for a while. Makes me feel like a ninja afterwards. Then I usually go to sleep and wake up having to rinse and repeat, lol. But, things are coming along. My cooldown of dislocates felt really good today; as did the TBs; and I could finally do wall extensions (though supine) with the correct form. Now to work on ROM and to stay consistent...

sounds like progress to me! no need to feel bruised, if you're moving forward as Jon pointed out. :) bite the bullet now and earn your rom. the time spent will be so worth it! i feel, contract in these new ranges to get some activation going on can also help a lot. 

Mark Collins

And you need to sit less!

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I'm well aware, but my thesis won't write itself haha. Already made the return to a standing desk setup.

Randeep Walia

If you strained your piriformis I don't think you should be stretching right now. I had the same injury and made it worse by stretching too soon 

Alessandro Mainente

The piriformis problem is a lot involved with sitting too much in the same position as Mark said. the consequence cold be 

1-tight piriformis pinches against sciatic nerve, this situation could be more or less advanced basing upon the physiology of your hip region (sciatic nerve could pass in, in front and over,it could embrace the muscle, it could pass in front and behind....different possibilities)

2-tight pririformis in the long time tends to increase the tightness of the hip capsule resulting in pain sensation during forward flexion with both legs piked or straddled

Maybe a good physio could checkon yourself what the problem is, 1 or 2 or a combination of.