This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Tweaked my back doing MN/PE4 iM and SL/PE4

Started by Cameron Williams, March 1, 2016 · 9 Replies · 207 Views

Cameron Williams

I tweaked my back today .. I think it was the combination of MN/PE4 iM and SL/PE4.

I was doing this iM for the first time, so I actually dropped the weight from 65lb to 45lb, to be safe (I normally do 65lb jeffersons).

The iM actually felt fine, but ten minutes later or so, on my 4th set of SL/PE4, I felt something twinge, and now my lower back is tweaked (not injured but something is definitely wrong...it's tender and it twinges if I move certain ways).

My question is, should I have lowered the weight even more for the iM? Or could my form be off on one of these two exercises that could cause the problem?

I know it's impossible to diagnose something like this on a forum, but I thought someone might have some insight/experience with this.

Any tips/insights are appreciated!

Thanks,

Cam

Edit: it should be noted that I am still on MN/PE2 - I was literally trying this stretch out on a deload workout today. Coach had mentioned somewhere in the forum that those of us who are stalled on MN/PE2 could benefit from working with some of the more advanced iM's

Ryan Bailey

Cam,

I am curious to know if your hamstrings/hip extensors were prefatigued from a new movement prior to SL PE4, placing more demand on the back. 

Also I am wondering if you usually due MN progression prior to SL.

Hope you get better quick with a little rest.

Cameron Williams

Hi Ryan,

Thanks very much.

No my hamstrings/hip extensors were not pre fatigued. I just warmed up as usual and started with my MN work.

And yes that is my normal routine... MN, SL, SLS

Thoughts?

Benjamin Gist

I've had something similar happen to my back a couple years ago. It hurt like hell, but was mostly better with a couple of weeks of rest. If it happened again I would stop doing anything that aggravates it until it's back to normal, and then very gently start again with low intensity. I think this is better than continuing training while it's still sore. 

I've also been stuck on MN/PE2 without much progress. What were some of the advanced iMs other than SL PE4 that were recommended? 

Cameron Williams

Thanks Benjamin. My understanding was that Coach recommended  some of the more advanced MN iMs as supplemental work to expedite PE2 progress. I'm guessing he meant any of the iM's from PE3-6. That's just my guess though :D

Cole Dano

Too much weight, in any case this isn't a Jefferson Curl, here the weight is intended to help promote a relaxation response, too heavy will actually be counterproductive. It's a Goldilocks situation not too much, not too little.

For now rest and gentle movement until the pain is gone. Hip circles, light shoulder bridges and pike leans can help release it.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hey Cam, 

 

I've been including Hip Extensions to help with strength in the hips for MN/PE2. Here's a link to its description: https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/topic/968-standing-leg-raise/. these have definitely helped with strength. Also, MSs helps, too. Have you tried Pike Leg lifts (MN/SE2>im) or Straddle Leg Lifts (MN/SE9>im)? I think they are >ims in either Foundation 2 or 3, they help a lot with the requisite strength and ROM needed for MN/PE2. Though it's been made clear that Jefferson Curls are okay for the back, I would be careful with pseudo-Jefferson Curl hangs or what have you if you're not up to that mobility. Straddle lean variations on stall bars (MN/SE5>im --> MN/SE8>im) are some others that come to mind. I would just rest and follow Cole's advice. I, myself, tweaked my piriformis on SLS/PE3>im and have had to work on sPL/PE1>im as a static hold to shore it up as a result (set back my progress on both elements). Hope you get better soon. 

Cameron Williams

Thanks Cole. Makes sense.

Should I not do any training at all until the pain is gone (save the exercises you recommended)? Or just don't do any MN iM work until the pain is gone?

Thanks Daniel - the info is appreciated! I'll definitely work on those leg raises. I don't have have anything beyond F1, so I haven't seen any of the MN exercises beyond PE6.

I have been doing MSs for a year now... slow going on that one :)

Bummer about your piriformis. Injuries are no fun... but I do find I always learn something from the experience ^_^

Mats Trane

Try this egen though its all in Swedish, look at the execises and do a lot of reps.

 

Cameron Williams

Thank you Mats! I just did a few sets of these and my back is already feeling more limber. My Swedish improved a tad as well ;)