This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's your dinner veggies?

Started by Johan Gustavsson, February 29, 2016 · 14 Replies · 477 Views

Johan Gustavsson

Hi!

I really liked the thread by Talal Aldoub in the Lesson 2 forum. And looking at all replies to it I'm not alone.
So perhaps we could do the same here!

Whats your favourite veggies to eat with dinner?

Currently Im mostly switching between these two:

Cooked Broccolio.
I just put fresh broccolio chopped in kind of small pieces down in boiling water together with some salt, pepper and and butter. 
Keep them there for a minute or two. Pour off the water and cool them down with cold water. I guess it some kind of blanching.
Serve with chopped red onions.

Fried savoy cabbage
I chop savoy cabbage really thin. Fry it in butter. Add salt, pepper and lime. 

Julia Quigley

Great idea, Johan.

I really love vegetables--there isn't a single vegetable I've tried that I dislike!

Some of my favorites that come to mind are are

-beets (fresh, roasted or boiled. Pairs well with goat cheese and balsamic vinegar)

-green vegetables (asparagus, spinach, broccoli, green beans, etc.) steamed, sautéed, or roasted with lemon juice, butter, s&p, and a sprinkle of parmesan

-frozen okra sautéed with canned, diced tomatoes and fresh onion. Seasoned with butter, s&p

-shaved Brussels sprouts sautéed with a little butter, pancetta or bacon, and pine nuts 

-mushrooms  & snow peas or sugar snap peas sautéed with a little oil and fresh ginger and garlic 

-on days that I'm feeling fancy, a tian of sliced zucchini, summer squash, potato slices, and tomato slices topped with fresh basil or oregano and a light sprinkle of Parmesan cheese

 

 

 

Johannes Thumser

Today i Had gratinated Fennel

I sliced the Fennel in quarters, cooked it quickly for about 3-5 Minutes, in the meanwhile i put some onions in a pan, fried them and added tomatoes.

 

Then i put the fennel in an oven-form, poured the onion-tomato sauce on top and topped it with cheese.

Then i put it in the oven and wait until the cheese is getting a bit darker. 

Serves well as a side dish or as a meal on itself

Cameron Williams

I make broccoli the same way as Johan but add a little fresh squeezed lemon, which livens it up a bit for me.

Baked tomato slices with cheese are super tasty. I slice the tomatoes quite thick and then put a small piece of aged cheddar on top, add some ground pepper, and broil in the oven for 5-10 mins, until cheese starts to brown.

Asparagus on the BBQ is also delicious and only takes 5-10 mins. Once cooked, I add some high-quality butter, salt and pepper.

Merunas Astrauskas

I love seeing these threads for ideas and inspiration. With Thrive I'm trying to steer away from a pretty bad case of the previously endorsed see food diet ;) As a result this is the only way I can make sure I'll have my dinner veggies:

IMG_0272.thumb.JPG.ae99b9977ab2956a67a2d

Nothing fancy at all, quickly blanched with some salt and paper on top. But at least I've got myself covered for the next few days!

Julia Quigley

@Merunas Astrauskas, it works! Being prepared is most of the battle for me as well.

I've recently started prepping some food in batches over the weekend to prepare for the coming week. 

This Saturday I made boiled beets, mashed potatoes, mashed turnips, a raw salad of onions/cucumbers/tomatoes, sautéed apples/blueberries, and a quiche. It sounds like a lot, but I think it took less than two hours. 

Merunas Astrauskas

Absolutely! I am now on my second week of batch cooking and it's the best decision I've made in a while.

For months my lunch at work varied from store bought sandwiches to burgers and burritos. But the last two weeks all of my lunches consisted of a protein and a bunch of veggies all prepped at home (and I'm trying to guess here what's upcomming in my future lessons by including a starch). I also don't have to worry each day what I should be eating and getting my lunch now is faster than fast food. 

Less than two hours does sound just about right which is time saved throughout the week. 

Im curious about the salad you've made Julia. So far I haven't had a problem with storing cooked food in the fridge. How about the raw salad? Does it stay well for at least a few days without getting soggy?

Julia Quigley

The salad I described is just marinated vegetables (no greens), so it stores well. I diced an onion, three tomatoes, and one cucumber and tossed with 2 tbsp white wine vinegar and 1 tbsp olive oil with s&p to taste. It should marinate for a couple hours before eating anyway, so it works well in the fridge. 

 

For green salads, I recommend assembling as you eat them. The closest you can really do is chop the toppings in advance (kumquats, celery, tomatoes, etc.) and store th separately until you want to combine. 

Jeff Serven

Julia and Merunas, 

Nice work you guys are doing great! Don't get too over achiever on me. Take your Sundays off and relax. 

Julia Quigley

I had two slices of NY style pizza this Sunday and a homemade brownie. I'm definitely relaxing on Sundays! :D

Patricia Albidrez

My veggies are whatever the dining hall is serving.  It's usually some mix of broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots and yellow squash so I think I'm ok for now.  As a backup plan I was thinking I could get some of those individual serving sized microwaveable veggie cups.  Would these be acceptable?

Joshua Slocum
  • baby carrots
  • steamed broccoli/cauliflower 
  • frozen mixed veggies (when I want something quick/easy)
  • onion/pea/bell pepper stir fry
  • kale and garlic stir-fry with lemon
  • fresh sliced tomatoes
  • avocados 
  • Brussels sprouts sauted with onion and garlic
Patricia Albidrez

I screwed up and picked a different route home at the last minute to save time.  This meant that my planned dinner of asparagus and salmon at one of my usual stops was no longer an option.  Plan B was to stop at a family style restaurant thinking for surethey would have some kind of vegetable side.  They said they didn't serve vegetables (gasp!) so I asked if they had any broccoli and cauliflower veggies for the salad bar that weren't drenched in Catalina dressing that they could sauté for me.  Nope again. So I made do with this:image.jpeg

 

Does this weird salad thing count as my dinner veggie?  Is anyone else trying to figure out road trip veggies?

Jeff Serven

Yup!

Ashe Higgs

20160813_012343.jpg

I try to  keep it simple.  I make a mix of veg consisting of broccoli, cauliflower, radish and carrot. Dash of oil and vinegar for lunch (raw) and toss in oil and chopped garlic for dinner, then roast in the oven at 375 for around 20 minutes.  I can chop up a whole bunch of this at the every other day or so and have enough for lunch /dinners.