This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE4 + PE4>iM

Started by Eva Pelegrin, February 29, 2016 · 15 Replies · 358 Views

Eva Pelegrin

sPL/PE4_Single Arm Plank
Feet together. Squeezing glutes. Core is coming along. I’m focusing on protraction and ribs in as much as I can. I tend to look a little piked in PPT due to my stiff lower back and butt. I’ve tried going lower with my hips and I didn’t feel my core was working as much. When I lower hips I start losing a bit of my ppt. What else do I need to work on for mastery? Starting a new cycle tomorrow!

I’d like to begin working on my Planche Leans as soon as I get an ok. This is where I left my training prior surgery. I feel much more confident with my L elbow in SAS than BAS like push ups. My thinking is that I can continue to work on my PPT, protraction depression, body line... from there. I feel ready. I know I will hang in Planche Leans for a looong time, so the sooner I start conditioning my wrist, the better. If I said something that's off-base, hit me on the head so I learn something.
https://youtu.be/Rd8M-GmF5OY

sPL/PE4>iM_Straddle Donkey Kick
Please let me know if I’m missing something here! I used to do front balances on a trapeze bar (no hands support) so I must have some muscle memory or something because all these iMs don’t feel that challenging for me. Don't mean that in bragging way. I'm surprised. 
https://youtu.be/9q_RGQIojRM

Thank you to the brave ones who are so kind to say something. I want to meet all the cool kids of this gang.

Eva Pelegrin

Straight out – not some crazy roller coaster version: :D

 

Shoulder-width stance: 

 

Eva Pelegrin

Thanks for the heads up!:o My worth in endurance and strength have no where to go, but up.

You mean, super set the PE element (60R, 60L, 60R, etc) in between the PE4>iM sets?
Or super set PE4_Single Arm Plank on it's own as a bonus on a different day? I was doing PE4 (60 sec R iM + 60 sec L) followed by >iM. Repeat x 4.

I want to start working on my Panche Leans form – the leaning aspect in particular. I know it will take me forever. Am i good to go, or you want me to hang in here. 

Eva Pelegrin

Woohoo!! #hardworkpaysoff. 
When I get to my Planche Leans, would it be ok to warm up my wrist with HS1-WRS2-3, WP, FKP? I know you shouldn't rest between F7 elements. I just don't know I will be able to do much of a lean, without prior warming up for my wrists (especially at the beginning). How do people do it.

Mark Collins

I always warm up the planche exercises with wrist stretches. I am lucky and have mobile wrists so the extension is no problem. I know some people turn out their hands, which is ok.

Eva Pelegrin

Gyro ball! Never tried it. Could it help me with my right elbow medial tendonitis? It's a bit of a chronic thing for me that tends to come back even after long rest periods (6-12 months). I'm feeling it a bit already and I'm not even doing any pull work yet! Possibly imbalance with my forearm extensors and my push strength sucks...

Cole Dano

I've found I like the Theraband Flexbar for elbow / wrist even more than the rice bucket. Google Reverse Tyler Twist.

Eva Pelegrin

Zach, pain that hurts so good is nothing to me, unless we're talking soul pain (I like your dirty old man).

Not sure I'll be finding anything in my biceps with my grandma arms lol, but will report back. Rolling in the same direction as the muscle fibers, cross-fiber, or both? If same direction, do you just go upwards (ironing style), or up and down. I usually use Gua sha tool, what do you like. Let me guess, steel?

Cole, always wanted to own one of those Flexbars, but been to cheap to buy one! It pisses me off that these products are so over priced and I just block them out of my consciousness. It's not like I can't afford it… It's of principle. Time to give it a try, thanks for the reminder. Would you start with the Light or Medium for me.

Eva Pelegrin

Metolius Soft or Medium? I think this is same as Handmaster, but the later is cheaper so I'd go with that, unless you know of a quality issue. I think (for now) this option is better than rice bucket (which I really like the organic feel, btw) because I could do it randomly during the day or while walking, more chances to be consistent. I'll dig your rice bucket when I feel more in auto-pilot with all my GB routines.

Keilani Gutierrez
2 hours ago, Zach Armijo said:

Same concept. I don't use the ball. We grip more than enough in our routines. I climb on top of all that. It's the extension we need to catch up on.

you guys werent joking about slowing down the wrist elements in H1. that stuff is magic.

Mark Collins

An olympic barbell on the forearms works well. The steam roller approach.

Keilani Gutierrez
33 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

An olympic barbell on the forearms works well. The steam roller approach.

you know......I sometimes wonder if i'm masochistic.....like really.

Eva Pelegrin
3 hours ago, Zach Armijo said:

It's the extension we need to catch up on.

Agree. Found FlexEx which I could easily keep in my pocket. Seems same idea as Metolius. Do you approve?
 

22 minutes ago, Mark Collins said:

steam roller approach.

Gotcha. Just to add to my laundry list of injuries, as Cole said haha, below is my R Elbow MRI as of Feb 2014. That's the "good" elbow as my surgery was on my left. R tendonitis started in 2012-13. It's not like I've never treated it. Done ART@, Graston, acupuncture, PT (radial/ulnar flexion, pronation/supination 'hammer' exercises, eccentrics...) and nothing really helped as I still have it. I even did a EMG and all the nerve testing was "normal." Could the pain come from the medial subluxation of the ulnar nerve? I can confirm that if I sit on a chair in front of a computer with a mouse for just 2 minutes, my R elbow gets instantly irritated, burning pain, like tiny blow torch, and last all day/night. Needless to say I work from a standing desk, but at work I have a regular desk I use sometimes.

R Elbow MRI.png

Mark Collins

That sounds like it is the ulna nerve. You have to get off that nerve when you are on the computer.

Tendon pain is very difficult to treat. Have a look at the work of Peter Malliaris, Jill Cook and craig Purdham. They are world leaders in tendon rehab.

Eva Pelegrin

Yes, I work from a standing desk for that reason. At work, I may sit at a regular desk for small intervals, but I've trained myself to use my other hand for the mouse. it seems like even everyday motions or any kind of friction irritates it. Sometimes I'll be doing nothing, like sitting in the subway, cooking in the kitchen... and I will feel the burn and irritation. It goes up & down during the day/week.

Honestly, there's no way for me to tell if some of the old tears also contribute to the pain. Haven't done much strength work lately, but I remember that when I had more muscle mass and was feeling stronger in my upper body, it helped. However, rope climbing and the top position of a chin up used to irritate it. The pain also correlated with overall training volume. I have to limit my HS training if any day is bothering more than a #3. it's a fine line...

Mark Collins

It will be interesting to see how it feels as you progress through F1 and H1.