This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS-PE3 Form Check

Started by Eva Pelegrin, February 28, 2016 · 8 Replies · 179 Views

Eva Pelegrin

 Feel in limbo now with my leg training. Like I’m not doing enough “legs” at this early stage of my GB journey and no extra cardio either:wacko:. I have pain in my right knee and hip (labral tears, FAI) performing these so not loving them. I usually avoid/minimize leg motions that aggravate my pain like squats, but I’ve been keeping my mobility up with Sissy squats, Inside squats, Outside squats, Rotation squats, Splits, etc. In the past, I trained leg strength with moves I could do safely and without pain or tolerable pain: Primarily Lunges, GHD, Deadlifts, Supine Ham Curls (ball/glide).

I skipped the SLS/PE2>iM because I didn’t want to risk busting my knee just before getting a new MRI last week. My pain is mostly from the cartilage loss (and maybe bursitis, not sure if that's new as the previous mri didn't mention it). What I know is that after my PCL tear in 2014 the knee pain didn't get any worse. Just the instability factor. Below is my MRI report. Where do we go from here? – Thank you.
https://youtu.be/k7i-Uj0ebiM 

56d26c8e96d75_RKneeMRI.png.95d7e27c88747

 

Mark Collins

With pathology like that I would not risk causing further damage by doing movements that place alot of rotation force through the knee. So inside squats, skiers and twisting squats would be high risk for you. These are good to do when you have all of your ligaments and mensicus intact. 

All of the strength elements should be fine to do. I would pair the strength with the hamstring iMs. So Cossack squats with the first hamstring iM. By doing this you are not following the program as intended, but your main priority should be to keep away from the surgeons for as long as possible.

Eva Pelegrin

Agree. All these years I've keep my hip/knee mobility up, mindfully and non going to pain for the reasons you mentioned above and also because I need to stay limber for my job. I sit plenty and kneel down and transition from supine to standing daily and that's plenty, aloong with stairs and walking. But I also need heavier loads to keep my legs muscle tone up and not feel like jello.

Which hamstrings iMs are you referring to? My hams and adductors are pretty mobile. I wold much prefer to pair with quad dominant iMs (my weakness), if possible. 

The Cossack squat and Side-to-Side squat are relatively easy for me (like warm up), if it weren't for the pain. I only taped the Side-to-Side thinking that if that's ok, so is my Cossack. Am I good to go to Speed Skater Squat?

Mark Collins

I would try the natural leg extension that accompanies the skater squat. The hamstring iMs are strength based and start at the end of F1. 

If the pain is not aggravated by the Cossack and side to side squats then move to skater squats. With knees like yours sometimes you will have pain regardless of what you do. In that case most of the research has found that you are better off being strong with pain than weak and in pain.

Eva Pelegrin

"Strong with pain," I'll take that one. I’m sorry I have to post all these injuries from the past, just so you get to know me from the worst possible angle. I actually don’t like drawing attention to myself! I post because my desire to learn and move forward is bigger than all my injuries and insecurities put together. And hopefully I can help someone in the process.

Moving on to Skater squats, yeah! Thank you. Fyi, I'm going to try the HA (hyaluronic acid) injections, if my insurance approves them. It takes a while. I did them 2 years ago and they seemed to help with the pain for a bit. I've never tried a cortisone injection because tendons/cartilage that are exposed to cortisone have been said to weaken over time. I realize the damage may not occur with 1-3 injections a year for a while, but who knows at what point you're starting to weaken your tendons. I'm sure it's very individual, and with my luck, I don't think I want to find out, unless I start collecting evidence otherwise.

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is to always avoid cortisone shots whenever possible; especially if they are going to be used as a pain management to continue working out/competing.  

In my experience they merely mask the pain and ultimately lead to even more damage.  The problem is that it 'feels' better and the athlete then proceeds to work even harder on an already damaged joint.  However once the cortisone wears off ...

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Thank you @Coach Sommer for your recommendation. That's why I've never tried them. Pain is my "informant."
Do you think that I could try Tumbling One or too risky for me? Never did that as a kid and I want to be in one piece for the GB seminar. 

Coach Sommer

There are no plyometric type elements in Tumbling One.  You should be fine.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Phew, good to know thanks!