This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Swivel Hips Form Check

Started by Ron Roitman, February 27, 2016 · 2 Replies · 134 Views

Ron Roitman

I'm finally starting to feel the stretch on my hips instead of on the knees in the internal rotation. The stretch is felt between the glutes and lateral hamstring attachments, is that correct?

I massage daily with a lacrosse ball all different muscles around the hip joint and what seems to be the limiting factor for my left leg was TFL. Unfortunately, I don't know what is limiting my right leg yet, but at least I don't feel anymore pain on the inside of the knee(MCL) while internally rotating the hips.

Any feedback on my form please? I tried to keep a straight lower back(APT), but it curves naturally as I internally rotate the leg. Is it fine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbh4TvgvsIY

Ron Roitman

Bump :mellow:

Maksis Riley

Hey Ron! To me it's looking good. The main suggestion I would make is to keep the rest of your body locked in place. It actually helps me to tense my upper body and legs as it isolates the movement to the hips and makes the stretch much more effective. 

 

Not only that but by squeezing surrounding musculature you will get an increased neural drive (not certain this is the correct term). I believe the method is known as irradiation but someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in and correct my mistakes. 

 

Whatever the official terms may be, try it out, it has helped me a lot.

 

Max