This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Do these count as vegetables?

Started by Guido Franchetti, February 27, 2016 · 6 Replies · 350 Views

Guido Franchetti

Hi Jeff, let me se if I got this right:

- I imagine that corn does not count as a veggie. 

- how about beetroot, would it qualify as a cooked veggie?

- I think you do not mention fennel as a raw vegetable option. Any reasons but for the fact that you cannot list every vegetable on earth?

- I think I read somewhere on this forum that legumes (beans, lentils...) on their own do not count as meeting the veggie requirement, right?

- Finally, does reversing the raw for lunch cooked for dinner order still count as meeting the goal? What I am really asking here is: as a long term habit, is it fine to settle on having both raw and cooked on the same day or is it important to respect the order? I understand the advantages of doing so as explained by Boki in another post, just wondering if at this basic level it is ok to just have both.  

Jeff Serven

Guido,

Nope sorry corn in general does not count. Not because I have all that much problem with real corn its just that your not going to find any and if you do then great but its highly unlikely. 

Beets and fennel are both great veggies. I kept the list to the most popular as to not make it a 10 page document. 

Legumes are technically a vegetable but I would tally them as a starch however you won't find them on the list of starches because they are not "optimal". There is worse out there and the stigmata the paleo world gave legumes is undeserving. I don't list them just because there is better stuff out there.  

For now in the course yes you have to do raw at lunch and coked at dinner to force some consistency and develop the habit. In 10 years if you eat left over cooked vegetables for lunch no big deal. But its a discipline thing for now. 

Matic Balantic

First I would like to say I really enjoy Thrive. Good work!

Jeff, I was wondering what are your thoughts on pickled vegetables? Do they qualify as lunch veggies?

Jeff Serven

Sure. Assuming your talking about not pickled in HFCS which a lot are. 

Jun Chan

Jeff, where would one go about finding real corn? It's something I stay away from, but would be nice to figure out how to pick out the real stuff.

Jeff Serven

Im not sure. But, Im sure its out there.

Ashe Higgs
On 2/27/2016 at 1:17 PM, Jeff Serven said:

 coked at dinner

LOL

Coked broccoli.

coked-brocolli.jpg