This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Side lever block forearm strain?

Started by Jang Hyun Seong, February 26, 2016 · 4 Replies · 151 Views

Jang Hyun Seong

Hello,

It's been around 3 or 4 weeks into training side lever blocks. Progress has been steady, I notice that there is a big strain in my pinky side of my left forearm (the one that is pressing) as soon as I lower myself from the bars. 

When I do side lever blocks, I try to bring the hands as close to the centerline as possible, and avoid myself from twisting while both of my arms are straight.

 

What do you think is the issue here?

Jon Douglas

Can you be a little more specific? Is it from an uncomfortable angle pressing into the bar, or is your hand twisting/stretching to produce the strain?

Does it last after a set or is it just during?

Jang Hyun Seong

Right after each sets.

And I would say that the bottom (pressing) arm is working at an uncomfortable angle - for my left pressing arm, as I try to balance my hands in the centerline and try to avoid myself from twisting.

But so far, it isn't very significant; I would just like to check if I am doing the exercise correctly.

Mats Trane
On 2016-02-27 at 7:16 AM, Jang Hyun Seong said:

Right after each sets.

And I would say that the bottom (pressing) arm is working at an uncomfortable angle - for my left pressing arm, as I try to balance my hands in the centerline and try to avoid myself from twisting.

But so far, it isn't very significant; I would just like to check if I am doing the exercise correctly.

Try to release the bottom hand real slow and see if it helps.

Jang Hyun Seong

Thank you for the tips. They all have helped a lot.

Releasing the bottom hand slowly definitely has helped significantly.

 

Also, I realized that my upper arm wasn't pulling enough and was overcompensating it with the bottom pressing arm. After a deload week and doing the exercise with more emphasis in pulling strongly with the shoulder girdles, the majority of the pain went away.

Thanks!