This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

sPL/PE7>iM prone half straddle planche

Started by Paul Gray, February 26, 2016 · 7 Replies · 202 Views

Paul Gray

sPL/PE7>iM - prone half straddle planche, double leg extension...

I've been working on this for a good while now (probably 6 months)......I think I'm comfortable with keeping flat.  But should I be actively pulling the legs out into straddle as far as they will go?

What will determine mastery on this exercise?

 

cheers

Alessandro Mainente

If you correctly hold the PPT you can reach not more then 90° in straddle, reducing the PPT is the only solution to increase the amplitude of the straddle.

By the way, think about reach at least 90°. 

Paul Gray

Oh goodness me! I've been doing this all wrong wrong wrong :( .............I never even realised you're supposed to hold PPT in this position, it's not in the instructions.

But do you have to keep the PPT while the knees are bent also?

Cole Dano

lol, yes holding the PPT is the whole point of all these type of iM's. Done right these will strongly target the side of your glutes, you might say it's a real pain in the arse. :)

Paul Gray

Hahahaha - very appropriate!

I guess I will have to go back and start these again to test.  But seriously......Focus points should really say 'focus on PPT' as that's the whole point of this.  But they don't  - they just say:

1) Do not allow the knees to drop below hips

2) Hips should be open and flat...

 

Anyway thanks Cole, should have really asked the question a long while back now.

Eva Pelegrin

@Paul Gray I feel for you. I don't like posting my form check videos, but I do it anyway to avoid this kinda thing, especially on elements I think I know, where my subconscious mind will not register a new detail because it's seen or done the whole in a (non-gymnastic) slightly different manner in the past.

I've figured by now that the course focus points are only a starting point and the real meat of the instructions is in the forum, where I now hang out.

In all fairness, "hips should be open and flat" is another way of saying PPT for the layman. I can't imagine not doing ppt, my lower back would kill me. Cheers and good training!

Paul Gray
2 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

In all fairness, "hips should be open and flat" is another way of saying PPT for the layman.

Great!  Thanks for explaining that.

Well I'm hoping my PPT will be up to it -  I mean I'm doing it the rest of the time in Front Lever, Handstand work, stretch work etc......let's give it a go tonight!

Eva Pelegrin

It's going to be a fabulous feeling! 
At the beginning of my STILL beginning (just started GB this Jan), I was wondering "jee-wiz these focus points are nice but not enough, and I have a movement background! I learn more from the forum moderators replies than reading those points..." Little did I know, that was intentional!!! That was DA POINT – to dive into the forum. 

Today, Coach Sommer made me smile when he made a reference to separating, quote, "the momentarily curious from those who are truly vested in learning more." They're two very different 'animals.' I guess I'm going to see you around the forum, eh! I like to have a sense of humor to balance out the hard work that's required. Great to meat you!