This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I've been crashing hard lately after lunch

Started by Jared Lybbert, February 25, 2016 · 10 Replies · 309 Views

Jared Lybbert

I feel like this entire week after lunch I pretty much HAVE to take a nap, badly. I also feel like I could reason myself as to why I should eat more or less carbs depending on my approach. So as it stands here is what I've typically been eating for lunch

Half of a roast potato/ or a cup of white rice
Chicken thigh, sliced beef, or some roast turkey slices, ~6oz
big plate full of greens,  either spinach or mixed greens
like an ounce of homemade chili pepper sauce which is essentially pureed garlic and peppers, 105% flavor.
some sour cream, or slices of avocado and a little cheese.

It is essentially the largest meal of the day, but to add it all off. I've been feeling rather out of energy all day, lately, it just peaks after lunch. Thoughts/ Opinions?

James Hall

@Jared Lybbert When are you drinking your water?  You mentioned you're new-found love of drinking water in another thread:).  Could a change in hydration levels be involved?

Jeff Serven

Jared,

a half a potato is 20g of carbs combine with 1 thigh with is about 4-5oz is 35-30g protein and say another 15g of fat in the way of cheese and sour cream and you have a total of a 450 cal meal. If this is your biggest meal and your eating 3 times a day that is 1200 calories(my guess). If your a hobbit then fine but I would recommend a day with 2 potatoes for lunch and 2 chicken thighs. Let me know how it goes. 

Note: all numbers are off the top of my head just to show example. 

Jared Lybbert

Yeah, that really doesn't amount to much in terms of calories does it? I'll take steps to increase that considerably and see how that goes.

Im drinking my water from the moment I wake up to the moment I fall asleep, trying to get it all down and drink literally anything else is a challenge, I'm still adjusting to the quantity for now.

Jeff Serven

Not really, just try to eat more volume and see how that does. As for the water, you will get used to it. 

 

Mark Collins

I will eat 2-3 chicken thighs and 2-300g of sweet potato. I am 94kg and 6"2 so need a bit more food. If I get this much food at lunch my evening workout feels great.

Jeff Serven

Haha! Dude 94kg? Yea more cow bell!!

Mark Collins
5 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

Haha! Dude 94kg? Yea more cow bell!!

The irony is when I only lifted weights I could not put weight on and was 88kg. When I started Coach's programs combined with Crossfit the muscle came on. Now I want to be light so I have less to lift.

Cameron Williams

I've noticed a similar thing on some days as well... is this always a case of not eating enough calories? (assuming we're getting healthy proteins, fats, starches, and greens)

Jeff Serven

Could be. Try eating more and see what happens. 

Kelby O'Shea
On 02/03/2016 at 0:20 AM, Jeff Serven said:

Could be. Try eating more and see what happens. 

How often is that the expert advice in a nutrition program. Love it.