This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Practical use of dashboard

Started by Michael Rodwell, February 25, 2016 · 10 Replies · 558 Views

Michael Rodwell

Hey guys,

Can someone give me some pointers on the day to day use of the dashboard? 

Before taking time off my training I was using a spreadsheet to track progress and since coming back the new dashboard has been released.

If I start with the a template on the dashboard and then track each workout will it build out all subsequent workouts? Or would I regularly need to re-apply a template and adjust the progression level for each training element?

Are people using the dashboard on their phones in the gym? 

Thanks for any pointers.

Mike

 

Cory Fair

Hi Mike,

The best place to start on this is the basic use tutorial here or the Quick Start Guide downloadable on the login screen. To answer your two use questions:

-Once you have a template set up, when you change to a new week it'll copy that same schedule over.

-You don't need to adjust the progression level, you can advance everything with the 'advance week' button.

 

Kevin Easton

Cory, what does "Advance Workouts" do?

Does it advance ALL exercise to the next weekly workout?

 

Here is my scenario:

The F7 template 3-day workout has me working out Monday-Wednesday-Saturday for example.

Due to my work schedule and life I can't always follow these days.  I may do a workout Sunday-Tuesday-Friday that following week.  Right now what I have been doing is manually entering my workout on each day, then deleting the Mon-Wed-Sat templates.

Is there way to do this a bit quicker?

And if I want to advance the week for only some exercises (maybe I didn't pass a couple of the exercises) is there a way to quickly advance to the next week workout on some exercises and not others?

 

Samin Ishtiaq

"Advance" adds one to each exercise. 

 

You can treat the tool flexibly: if your template says Mon/Wed/Sat, and you do Sun/Tues/Fri, then why not just tick off Mon for Sun, Wed for Tues, etc. If the tool let's you do that, that is. 

Having said that, my current gripe with it is that it locks a previous day, and doesn't let you edit it.  

Michael Rodwell

Do you guys use the dashboard to track progress? Is there a historical view or anyway to look back on the past workouts etc?

Samin Ishtiaq

I still have my trusty logbook: I track progress by looking through previous pages :-)

I use my logbook all the time. At the beginning of the week, I write down, from the dashboard, what I have to do. Every day, I tick those off, and write start- and end-times for each exercise.

I've started using the dashboard a bit. It's a good feeling to see all those greens light up when I tick each workout off. But I do this later in the day (sometimes I even miss doing it); I find that having a computer around when I'm exercising is a distraction, and have learnt to leave it where it was.

You can use the dashboard to look at your previous logs. It's very textual (no different from my logbook).

Samin

Douglas Wadle

Hi all, just wondering if the "personal metrics" are plotted out somewhere over time. Might be nice to add an option for monitoring weight and some other variables as well.  I like how the dashboard is coming together.  It's really easy to access all the courses now, and the forum is just a click away.  

Cory Fair
19 hours ago, Douglas Wadle said:

Hi all, just wondering if the "personal metrics" are plotted out somewhere over time. Might be nice to add an option for monitoring weight and some other variables as well.  I like how the dashboard is coming together.  It's really easy to access all the courses now, and the forum is just a click away.  

In time, there will be a number of graphs and optional metrics. First we're working to make the experience easier and simpler to use and then the more fun features can start coming.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Just getting this out there and if other are also wondering.

In regards to the dashboard and our personal metric ratings....

When we are giving our rating for the "Level of Soreness" personal metrics. Should our answer be based on how our body feels before the workout or after the workout? 

If after a workout a lot of individuals will be feeling the effects of post-workout Acute Muscle Soreness and will more than likely rate their level of soreness closer to one. If before a workout a lot of individuals might rate their level of soreness closer to 5 because Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (aka: DOMS) is less than what they were feeling compared to the post-workout acute muscle soreness.

Personally speaking, my level of soreness metric for May 30th was given based off the effects of post-workout acute muscle soreness I had been feeling at the moment. If the level of soreness metric is supposed to be based off of how my body felt the before starting the workout I would have given a level 5 rating.  For May 31 my level of soreness rating is based off of how my body feels before starting the workout.
 

Samin Ishtiaq

I'm taking the "I am feeling" and "Level of soreness" questions quite generally, about me that day. I'm *not* relating them to how my workout session went. (But often I answer these questions at the end of the day, way after I've done my workouts.)

Cory Fair

There's a purpose to the personal metrics in regards to your schedule, nutrition and recovery but we haven't implemented anything actionable yet. What matters about these is simply trends over time. 

In regards to inputting it, it's how you feel today. Doesn't matter which workout caused the DOMS.