This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE3 - Set up

Started by Kevin Easton, February 24, 2016 · 1 Replies · 122 Views

Kevin Easton

I have moved on to HBP/PE3 and gave it a shot last night for the first time.  Boy O Boy was that rough.

Like some of the other exercises I had difficulty the first couple times trying it because my form was off.  Once I got the form/technique figured out it became much easier (SLS/PE1 is a prime example)

With HBP/PE3 can someone give me a run down on how to get started on this?

I will give you an idea of what I did, to see if this is right:

-.  Laid on a mat and marked where my nose was for a reference point

-. Placed my hands in line with my hips and marked the spot for reference.

-.  Pushed myself up in a pushup then dragged my feet up so my nose was over my nose reference point (getting the lean).

(1) Is this the proper way to get into position?

(2) Am I aiming for hands at the hips?

(3) Can I get a pointer for the following:

   - Toes Pointed?

   - Lock knees?

   - Squeeze Glutes?

   - Thrust Pelvis forward/down  (PPT)?

   - Suck my abdominals in?   (when I video taped myself I was actually pushing my abdominals out and had the 6 months pregnant look, LOL)

   - Firgers pointed straight, 45 degree angle, pointed to the side?

  - Pull scapula out (protract) and down?

 

If someone doesn't mind answering these I can fix some problems I KNOW I have and will then post a Form Check video to iron out some other issues I can't identify.  The video I took last night was after I got frustrated and I was burned out and was only able to get 3 reps.  I tested for mastery and got 10, then I went to failure again, then got frustrated and tried again and was gassed.

 

Maksis Riley

I will do my best to answer your questions Kevin. I'm sure others will chime in too.

 

That's a good way to get into position and will keep you from drifting backwards as you press up. This is the true and much more difficult way to do the move.

 

Hands at the hips is I believe considered the ideal. Between hips and bottom rib will count for mastery. Also I would say, from my experience, it is better to start with less lean and a good body line than the opposite. You can increase the lean as you become more proficient, just be sure to lower the reps once you decide to do this!

 

Yes toes pointed. Yes locked knees. Yes PPT. Yes abs in and squeeze glutes (hand in hand with PPT I believe). I would say fingers at 45 seems to be best to take strain off the wrists without putting too much on the elbow at this point. Yes protract and depress the scaps, hard!

 

Hope this helps. It's a really tough one, especially 5x10. I do think not going overboard with lean to begin with is the best way, keep the reps smooth and controlled with proper alignment and gradually up the intensity by leaning more.

 

Max