This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Meal timing

Started by Daniel Sesselmann, February 24, 2016 · 2 Replies · 140 Views

Daniel Sesselmann

Hi Jeff,

regarding your advised daily meal flow:

Really often I have to work until around 6pm. So if I get approx 7am breakfast, 1pm lunch and (so far) 7pm dinner with some snacks thrown inbetween, would you rather recommend working out before or after that dinner? Right now I usually eat something shortly after arriving home, wait for like an hour, train and eat something after training again.

So I could either work out at ~6.30 and eat around 8pm or keep it the way it is right now. In which case I'd also be grateful for information regarding if I should "split" the regular dinner or just eat like 2 separate dinner-type meals.

Thank you in advance! Really awesome program so far!

Jeff Serven

Hi Daniel, 

I think both options work its more a style and personal preference.  would like to make a tweak if I can. 

Option 1: Eat something quick at 5pm then workout when you get home at 6:15 then eat dinner 

Option 2: How do you do performance wise with a 1/2 meal in ya? Is that time of day starting to feel late for you?

Both options can work well but the two questions in option 2 are going to be what give you your answer. If you cant Train hard with food in the gut or if it feels late then I would go with option 1.

Thanks Im glad you like the program. 

Daniel Sesselmann

Actually I almost feel performing better, if my last meal wasn't too long before working out. Maybe that is because I was used to eating every 2-3 hours before, although the "meals" between breakfast and lunch / lunch and dinner were more of a bigger snack. So I had never really waited longer than maybe 1.5 or 2 hours before working out anyway.

And no signs of fatigue at that time. In fact I do really enjoy the workout as compensation for a mostly sedentary day then.

So I guess Option 2 it is. Is there any use in splitting the meal into something like starches before working out to provide energy and refill with protein later or would you just go something like 50:50 no matter the actual ingredient?