This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Daily Meal Flow

Started by Jeff Serven, February 23, 2016 · 36 Replies · 860 Views

Ryan Lewis

@Jeff Serven

Hi Jeff,

I am up to Lesson 14 and catching up on info in the forums. Is this the first forum you have spoken of 'daily meal flow' or have I missed it in one of the lessons? 

Cheers

Ryan

Julia Quigley
5 hours ago, Ryan Lewis said:

@Jeff Serven

Hi Jeff,

I am up to Lesson 14 and catching up on info in the forums. Is this the first forum you have spoken of 'daily meal flow' or have I missed it in one of the lessons? 

Cheers

Ryan

Hi, Ryan! If you're up to 14, you've missed it! Do you read the lesson as well as the task for each step? If you've only been reading the steps, and not reading the lessons, that'd explain how you missed it.  

Ryan Lewis

@Julia Quigley

Thanks for getting back to me Julia. I have definitely been reading the lessons (this is the text under each video right?) and for the life of me I can't recall Jeff writing or discussing 'Daily Meal Flow' outside of this forum. 

Jared Birbeck

Each task has the text underneath but back at the Nutrition page in the courses section each lesson also has an associated paper that you can check out. Lesson 13 had the Daily meal flow, step 2 had healthy fats 101. so each step has two separate lessons if you like.

Kelby O'Shea

After being on a ketogenic / low carb paleo diet for almost 12 months this plan is like heaven. Bring on the potatoes and rice!

Steak and eggs for breakfast, sushi and salad for lunch, roast meat and potatoes for dinner. What more can a man want? Oh yeah, feeling tired? Getting energy crashes? Eat more.

I really like the tasks too, they are just hard enough to need constant work to make them habits, but most of them have an immediate up side. For example the lunch veggie goal means I have a salad every day for lunch, which means I always have lunch prepared on work days. This means I can only fail the evening meal tasks, so with a little bit of discipline it's easy to achieve all the tasks for a day. 

I'm looking forward to the remaining steps and perhaps a Thrive 2?

Jeff Serven

Thanks for the post. 

Richard Thomas

Jeff,

Bit of a latecomer here. But yeah, I could easily follow this long term. I've been a very routined eater for many years, following the basic principle of having "enough gas in the tank" for workouts. Thrive probably makes that easier and gives me more fine grained control, with little effort. Perhaps a few minutes extra is required in the morning. No sweat.

 

Adoption has been very straightforward, and helped balance out nutrients for me. Even the transition to a carb-free AM recommendation was easy. Initially I was like What? and thought it was the end of the world for about 3 days. Spent another 3days scouring the forums for recipes/ideas, then worked out equivalent portions for kJs compared to my current meals. By day 2 my body loved it and didn't care.

 

What attracted me to thrive (I was sceptical beforehand) was a comment of yours about eating the right food at the right time. I can't even remember the details precisely, but it just made complete sense. You've certainly delivered with course. I'm already feeling looser and nimbler in the daytime, and feel ready to go at each workout.

 

Fantastic course dude! 

Jeff Serven

Thanks Richard, I very much appreciate the kind words. 

Great work on your successes with the course. Keep it up

Joshua Daudelin
On 2/24/2016 at 8:45 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Richard, 

Thats funny that you mention this. Coach also works out in the morning and we have had this same discussion at length. 

As always there is optimal and reality. If your choice is to workout in the morning or not at all its a no brainer. There was a period last year where I had to get up early and train at 0530. I don't care for it but it beats the alternative. With that said I think the daily meal flow is more important than the pre/post workout optimal timing thing. I personally would always stick to the daily meal flow and fit the workouts in where I can instead of eating around the workout time.

The reason being when you eat around your workout time you are basically putting the blinders on to your circadian rhythm, cortisol, insulin, energy, natural testosterone levels, etc. through the day to only worry about glycogen replenishment. As Mr Spock says "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few" 

Glad you like it. I always like to hear reviews. Thanks

 

Hi Jeff - this statement touches on a question I've had for a bit now so I'm looking for clarification on how I've resolved exercise timing in conjunction with the Thrive program.

Due to work and family constraints my only time to work out is early morning. A typical day for me is up at 4am, quick cup of coffee, and off to the gym. Previous to Thrive I would generally have a blended mix of banana, steel cut oats, frozen berries, a couple of handfuls of greens, mixed with water post workout. Within a couple of hours I would have 'breakfast' consisting of eggs and potatoes - the thought being that the carbs were optimal as this is my 'post-workout' recovery.

Now that I'm well into Thrive I've changed to the following routine (more or less). Upon return home from workout I'm eating eggs cooked in coconut oil and some sort of meat (protein and fat). Then in order to obtain adequate caloric intake I'll have my blended mix without the oats but with the addition of about a quarter can of coconut milk either with the eggs & meat or a couple of hours later. 

Based on the quoted statement I'm assuming that this is acceptable and optimal given my current available schedule?

Thanks in advance.

 

Jeff Serven

I suppose it really depends on whats most important to you. Eating for maximum muscle mass and lowest fat may not be in line with eating for optimal health. 

I am bias towards optimal health and then getting all the performance I can out of that. For an NFL player who's livelihood is performance its different. I don't know where you fall in this spectrum but I personally would eat the diet you outlined. 

Joshua Daudelin

As a 46 year old business owner and a recovered CrossFit 'athlete' I have come to the conclusion that optimal health is the end goal. Having grown weary of hobbling down the stairs every morning after working out has me traveling down a different path with respect to the approaches that GB provides. I was on the fence with Thrive for months and have embraced the program. I will continue as prescribed and thank you for the response.

Jeff Serven

Thanks Joshua. Im glad its working for you.