This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Homemade Greek potatoes count as lunch fat?

Started by Cameron Williams, February 23, 2016 · 7 Replies · 199 Views

Cameron Williams

I've been making Greek potatoes at home lately, and I'm wondering if these would count as a fat as well as a starch for lunch?

There's quite a bit of olive oil in the recipe, so I thought this may be enough to count in my lunch fat category.

There's 3/4 cup along with 3/4 cup water for 8 potatoes. The potatoes bake in this mixture for about 1.5h hrs, so plenty of it is absorbed.

 

Jeff Serven

Im going to google you. I want to know what other strange stuff you're up too. ;)

Cameron Williams

I just did the same... apparently I'm an Australian journalist and television personality. Being that and cooking potatoes takes up most of my time.

Cameron Williams

So, fat in the Greek potatoes? Yay or nay?

Jeff Serven

Cam, your a funny dude! Yes it counts as a fat but I would be careful when cooking with olive oil. Its a monounsaturated fat which means it has one double bond. Its these double bonds that can be damaged when cooking where as saturated fat has none(to be destroyed) and polyunsaturated fat has many. So if the olive oil is of low quality or taste bitter or funny after cooking it I would count it as something you wouldn't be interested in. 

Cameron Williams

Ok cool... the taste seems fine. It's first-press extra virgin olive oil from Italy, and the quality seems good to me.

As a general rule though, should cooking with olive oil be avoided?

Jeff Serven

Olive oil is does not stand up to heat as well as say coconut oil so optimal for that application would be a saturated fat like coconut oil or butter. However if we take everything out of context and compare foods until we find the most absolute healthiest one then we are left with salmon and broccoli for every meal until we die. Is some heat going to completely destroy a real olive oil? No. But its also not doing it any favors. From time to time its probably not bad. 

Cameron Williams

Gotcha - thanks very much!