This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS/PE1 + iM Form Check

Started by Young Chan Park, February 23, 2016 · 12 Replies · 283 Views

Young Chan Park

Hi,

 

Could you check my form please?

 

I don't have access to stall bars so this is the best set up I have.

 

pHS/PE1 Strength Side view

pHS/PE1 iM Side view

 

on the iM, I read somewhere that my hips needs to be below my hands at the bottom of the rep. I'm not sure if its possible with this set up :( I'm nearly folded in half but it still seems I'm in line with the hand position :(


 

Thanks in advance!

 

[EDIT] I also just noticed in the video, the part between my lower back and hip looks really tight...

Young Chan Park

Bump

Keilani Gutierrez

Hi Young Chan :) 

on the PE, to build on the good mobility shown, i'd recommend staying tight (look at how the pelvis moves in the transition from plank to the elevated downward dog) and leading with your shoulders. that may help you put on some more strength in the trapz while the mobility catches up, which looks great actually for your set-up. if you can manage a set up where you can either lower your hands or raise your feet that will help you further. try that out and film yourself to see if it helps. 

Young Chan Park
On 7 March 2016 at 2:25 AM, Keilani Gutierrez said:

Hi Young Chan :) 

on the PE, to build on the good mobility shown, i'd recommend staying tight (look at how the pelvis moves in the transition from plank to the elevated downward dog) and leading with your shoulders. that may help you put on some more strength in the trapz while the mobility catches up, which looks great actually for your set-up. if you can manage a set up where you can either lower your hands or raise your feet that will help you further. try that out and film yourself to see if it helps. 

 

I removed the stretch blocks so I can go lower.

 

I'm not understanding what you're trying to say with the pelvis movement during the transition. Are you trying to point out how I'm not maintaining body alignment during the transition? I'm trying to keep the alignment throughout the exercise but I feel my lower back has gotten too stiff from years of inactivity. I believe this is what's halting my progression in pHS and MN.

 

Also, does it look like I'm leading with my shoulders now? I'm consciously trying to lead with my shoulders now but I'm not sure if I'm doing it correctly.

Cole Dano

You're letting your back sag too much, try to keep hollow at all times, in both the plank and the L handstand.

Young Chan Park
On 22 March 2016 at 0:47 PM, Cole Dano said:

You're letting your back sag too much, try to keep hollow at all times, in both the plank and the L handstand.

 

On 6 March 2016 at 2:25 AM, Keilani Gutierrez said:

Hi Young Chan :) 

on the PE, to build on the good mobility shown, i'd recommend staying tight (look at how the pelvis moves in the transition from plank to the elevated downward dog) and leading with your shoulders. that may help you put on some more strength in the trapz while the mobility catches up, which looks great actually for your set-up. if you can manage a set up where you can either lower your hands or raise your feet that will help you further. try that out and film yourself to see if it helps. 

 

How is this? Can I move on?

 

 

Cole Dano

Better, but I'd like to see a more active plank still at the very least more core tension and PPT.

Keilani Gutierrez

ditto on more active plank. again, look at your hip and shoulders. when you begin the rep, the hip rises first. this may not seem like a problem now, but wait till your feet start becoming weightless and you REALLY start relying on your upper back to press up. at the very least keep it in your warm up and really press with your upper body in place of simply making it a "find the path of least resistance" from one pose to the other.

Young Chan Park

I think I'm slowly starting understand...

 

Before I go into detail, here is the video that I've done today

4th set

 

5th set

On 6 April 2016 at 8:29 PM, Cole Dano said:

Better, but I'd like to see a more active plank still at the very least more core tension and PPT.

So Cole, you're pointing out that I need to keep my back straight (PPT) and get more core tension right?

I just wanted to clarify the PPT part.

So I should be working towards my current form (blue) to achieving a straight body line (red), yes?Plank:PPT Bottom.png 

Plank:PPT Top.png

 

My lower back seems to be the problem which is halting not only this element, but RC and MN elements too :(. Although it has gotten better slowly throughout the months.

 

On 7 April 2016 at 3:06 AM, Keilani Gutierrez said:

ditto on more active plank. again, look at your hip and shoulders. when you begin the rep, the hip rises first. this may not seem like a problem now, but wait till your feet start becoming weightless and you REALLY start relying on your upper back to press up. at the very least keep it in your warm up and really press with your upper body in place of simply making it a "find the path of least resistance" from one pose to the other.

I first didn't really understand your first post but this clarified it a lot. Thank you :)

So I'm not supposed to be moving my hips myself consciously, but the inward movement of my shoulders (blue) while holding a hollow body that creates the upward force (green) that naturally raises my hips. Correct?

I did this today and my feet felt weightless and the element got a lot harder :DDDD

Shoulder first.png

 

 

One last thing...

I was experimenting on trying to make my back straight and did something on my last set.

On my 5th set video, if you see from 0:09-0:12, I hinged my pelvis forward which gave me a flatter back just before pushing up. Should this be what I should be doing before pushing so that it gives me a more hollow body?

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 13.48.00.png

Sorry for all the videos and pictures :/ Just wanted to clearly show you my questions

Cole Dano

Most if not all of your issues will sort themselves out in the sPL progression. essentially once you build a good plank position, it's just a matter of taking that into this drill.

Coach Sommer

Cole is correct.

In addition to lacking PPT, you also need to work on maintaining protraction.

You are not ready to move to the next PE.  

Accept this, slow down and give yourself time to get it right.  This is not a race.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Young Chan Park
On 13 April 2016 at 2:07 PM, Cole Dano said:

Most if not all of your issues will sort themselves out in the sPL progression. essentially once you build a good plank position, it's just a matter of taking that into this drill.

Taking into account of the recent feedbacks and reviewing a blog post about handstands, I've tried to keep a constant protraction and plank position. I've only recently made it pass the swivel hips barrier and started planking so I wasn't sure what a proper plank position was before that :/

Blog post

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/handstands-for-beginners-cues-for-success/

 

 

I was refining my form throughout 1-4 sets and filmed this on my 5th set. Am I going in the right direction?

Cole Dano

It's better as far as the sagging lower back is concerned, but you're not coming forward into a good plank.

Again, this is all a bit premature to worry about at this stage though.

Focus on the Foundations and H1 elements first, and when the time comes this will be a breeze.