This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE2

Started by Wayne Grima, February 23, 2016 · 20 Replies · 364 Views

Wayne Grima

How are these going, I think form is ok, 4th set gets difficult indeed.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Protraction and depression should be showed at the bottom of every reps.

As I said in the SPL/PE2 post the PPT must be engaged during all plank variations or movement involving plank activation.

Wayne Grima

Thank you Alessandro, I'll be correcting the form. So if understand correctly I should

push my hips forward more towards the ground.

Ryan Reynolds

PPT (posterior pelvic tilt) when engaged it will create a flat lower back, you have a slight arch.  Think of tucking your tail bone to flatten your back.

Wayne Grima

I feel I'm getting the form correct now, is this set an improvement?

 

Ryan Reynolds

Yes you've got improved PPT.  It lessens by the end but I'd say your on the right track.  Keep up the good work. 

Wayne Grima

Roger that Ryan. Now I understand what the correct 

form is time to work on getting the strength and 

endurance to do 5x15. Thank you for your assessment.

Wayne Grima

OK this one is for mastery. Set 5 with iM

 

Wayne Grima

EDIT: Typical! Look at the thumb nail of my mastery check, no PPT and form don't look good haha.

Please judge on the actual video and not the thumb nail

Cole Dano

Unfortunately the thumbnail tells all :(

I'd personally have cut your set at about rep 7 or 8, that's when the body line starts to break and shoulders begin to lift before the hips.

The iM looks good though. :)

Wayne Grima

If at first you don't succeed try again :). I'll repeat block 3, weeks 9-12. Thanks for keeping me honest.

Hope I can loose a cm or 2 by then too lol. This is a great way to keep a journal too.Wish I did it sooner.

 

William Marler
On 3/5/2016 at 1:34 AM, Cole Dano said:

I'd personally have cut your set at about rep 7 or 8, that's when the body line starts to break and shoulders begin to lift before the hips.

The iM looks good though.

This is really interesting feedback ... so Cole, if this were say, set 3 or 4 (of 5), and you had stopped him at rep 7 or 8, would you have had him do the iM, and then attempt another set (or two sets), again stopping him once his body line starts to break? 

Regarding the iM, I have seen comments by other moderators see (my HBP/PE2 thread) that would say this is too much torso twist; that the torso should only twist "just enough." This is, of course, contradictory to what is demonstrated in the course video. I don't know what is right and what isn't (or to what degree it matters). Can you give your opinions? Also, at the top of Wayne's iM's here it looks like he's not keeping his elbow straight. Is that a non-issue/too nit-picky?

Last but not least: there is time associated with setting up the camera between iMs & PE's. Is this a non-issue? Again referring to my post I've gotten feedback regarding "no rest between PE & iM sets."

Cole Dano

- In my training I've been following the 'step' idea and was happy to see it formally released last week. I'd want to roll Wayne back to an earlier step. The gap between good reps and strained reps is too large as is.

- The over-twisting of the torso issue was overstated earlier, twisting if fine as shown in the demo video.

- This isn't a certification test, it's a form check. Set up time is a Non-issue for me.

keep in mind, that form check threads are meant to be specific to the poster. The last question in particular should have been it's own thread.

Wayne Grima
5 hours ago, William Marler said:

Last but not least: there is time associated with setting up the camera between iMs & PE's. Is this a non-issue? Again referring to my post I've gotten feedback regarding "no rest between PE & iM sets."

I think that part is too nit picky. Sets 1-4 were probably fine for me. I find all elements or exercises in general

get a lot harder by the 5th set. I seem to fade all at once. For example when I would do 4 sets of bench press

I'd do the first 3 sets all good and on the 4th set the first 6 reps would look like the 1st 6 reps of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd

set then by the 7th rep on the 4th set barely get the bar up, just all at once fade away or gas out.This is where I need

to improve and get stronger.

I do sometimes read on the forums people in my opinion sometimes be a bit too "nit picky" I'm of the

opinion that I'm here to get stronger and have a healthier life and do exercise that I enjoy and to better myself,

I am not here to be a Olympic champion gymnast. I truly hope that doesn't sound arrogant because I'm not.

Just sometime I see comments that would have the slightest flaw like your half a degree too much fwd or your

right leg isn't exactly inline with your such n such. Lets have fun, get healthier and stronger and more mobile and flexible,

which reminds me I am keen to get the stretch series, I think I would really benefit from it.

Cole Dano

Wayne, don't worry about it.

For all reading, it's far too easy to misinterpret posts meant for a specific user in a specific situation and over apply it. This is why we really want to keep the form check threads clean and not have folks randomly interjecting.

There is plenty of room in the general Foundations forums to ask questions when things aren't clear, you can even refer to a specific form check if needed. Please don't muddy the waters for other people in their form checks. 

Wayne Grima

Not at all Cole. All good mate. To anyone reading please know and understand I'm not getting defensive or anything

like that which I was afraid that it might get interpreted like that as text has no tone lol. My point was c'mon man

the time to adjust the camera blah blah, as I said above (edited BTW) most people are here to get stronger,healthier

and generally better themselves not going for gold at the Brazil Olympics. Bless :)

 

William Marler

Hey, sorry, didn't meant to muddy the waters ... I thought everything I was asking was appropriate & applicable to Wayne's training, and the answers would assist him in his development, as well as me in my understanding of the element.

With regards to adjusting the camera, Wayne did write "OK this one is for mastery. Set 5 with iM," so I thought pausing was a concern in that case.

Wayne Grima

Hi, here is my latest form check for HBP/PE2. I have been experimenting and trying to gain understanding

of PPT and applying it to this element and sPL as that is the message I'm hearing on both mine and others

form checks.Both exercises feel very different now so I'm curious to know if the form is better in this latest check

and that it's correct and proper or have I gone off track and doing it incorrectly. At 8 seconds I really emphasize

PPT and tucking the tail up. I look forward to hearing back.

 

Ryan Reynolds

Great job Wayne, I think you've got the right shape now.  You also stopped the set at the right time because your body started to segment on the last rep.

Cole Dano

You are on the right track Wayne, PPT is spot on now.

However you are letting your shoulders come up slightly ahead of the rest of the body. To control this keep tension in the upper abs. If you watch carefully, at the moment you begin to move up, your stomach lengthens and allows the chest to lift early. Keep that ab tension and the problem will be solved, although the pushups may feel a bit heavier at first.

That said, I much prefer the form in this video, keep working this way and the last bit will come in no time.

Wayne Grima

Ha, to think I had these when I first started, and even before I started this element. I'm certain I'm not the only

person who thought "oh yeah who can't do 15 pushup's easy peazy"  Last week was a real step forward for

me, discovering proper PPT, I'm now trying to apply it in everyday things like when I stand and generally holding

good posture. What have I been doing all my life! lol, After 41 years of not being aware of correct technique to

operate our body I'm now thinking where I would be today if I had. These and other elements feel TOTALLY

different now and I'm feeling muscles activate that I didn't know existed lol This should be part of school curriculum.

All my life and in my younger years while doing sports I always knew that my form/technique was off, especially in martial

arts where my flexibility looked better than average but I could not perform some of the advanced kicks like the star

students.I can't wait to discover more about body mechanics as I progress. Shortly I'll be getting the stretch series

and I'm sure that will highlight the imbalances that I've accumulated over the years and I think that it will greatly

speed the process of ironing those imbalances out. I feel like I've had a real win discovering this, and now understand

the concept and the good advice given to me and no longer second guessing the advice that was given, even though

the exercises are a lot more difficult now they feel correct and I love the tension in the whole body, it's a real work out.

Cheers one and all.