This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Soreness from MS

Started by Benjamin Gist, February 23, 2016 · 7 Replies · 326 Views

Benjamin Gist

I've been consistent on my stretches the last few months doing FS, MS and TB every week. I think I'm making good progress, particularly on TB.

The last couple of weeks when doing middles splits I've been pretty sore in my hips, upper inner thighs and hamstrings. This is with a weeks rest, and I don't really notice the soreness until I start the middle split session. I also seem to be losing some range of motion on some of the stretches, but I'm not totally sure about this.

Question is should I take a week off of middle split, or is this soreness just part of the growth process?

Mikkel Ravn

I'd like to know as well. My first thought is that if you're not completely recovered between sessions, you may be going harder than your tissue can handle?

I find a week to be the perfect recovery period, although I can still feel the effects from the last session when I begin a new session. I'm not sore in my everyday activities, but if I try to sit in a tailor pose or similar I can definitely feel that I have been working the groin.

Maksis Riley

I had this in my hamstrings, they were sore all the time when I came back to my next front split session, so essentially 24/7. There is a lot of hamstring intensive work in foundation too so I backed for for a week or two until the soreness dissipated. I then started alternating between middle and front split weekly (ie each one every other week). Now I'm back to weekly but generally being more Reserved with mobility work; I have a habit to push it too hard even though it is printed on every single iM page..... Go figure....

 

Kind of rambled here but hope the point came across. Basically what I did was stop stretching until the soreness was gone then came back slowly and with a more gentle approach.

 

Max

Cameron Williams

I've actually experienced the same thing as Benjamin with MS. After a week's rest, I am still sore in my groin. I don't have this issue with the other two stretch series.

Could a moderator chime in on this one? I'd like to know if this is an indicator that we should be taking more rest time (or not pushing so hard on the stretches) or if we should just continue on as usual?

Thanks,

Cam

Cole Dano

IMO rest until the worst of the soreness is gone. Then scale back next time and very gradually ramp it up. Sounds like you went too hard out of the gate.

Cameron Williams

Thanks Cole!

Ill give that a go and see how I do

Alessandro Mainente

Soreness is ana allarm of incomplete supercompensation. listen to Cole guys.

Mark Collins

Some people do not tolerate intense streching and can get quite sore for several days. This sounds like you, so I would reduce the intensity. You will need to ease your body into the stretches and relax your breathing. You may also benefit from extending the time by 30 secs for each exercise at this lower intensity.