This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated bridge problem

Started by Adam Kirby, February 22, 2016 · 9 Replies · 237 Views

Adam Kirby

This has puzzled me for awhile.... I don't have much trouble pushing up into a regular bridge on the floor, but when I elevate my feet I literally cannot push my head off the ground.  I feel so much weaker than in a regular bridge.  Why would this be the case?  I can't figure it out.

Maksis Riley

The higher your feet are raised the more of your bodyweight is being support by your upper body. Imagine, if you keep raising your feet; eventually you will be in a headstand pushup, supporting your entire bodyweight.

 

If you can push up into a normal bridge why not do that and then elevate your feet once you're up? That way you can focus the stretch on your upper back once your feet are raised.

 

Max

Ben Neal

I have been having the same issue.  I am going to try this approach tomorrow.. 

Alessandro Mainente

It is not a case that some of my clients start to be able to push into elevated bridge when they approach Foundation 3 for HolowBackPress.

Ben Neal

What do they do before this,  during F1 for example? 

Christian Nogueira

Funny, for me it's the other way around (probably because my issue is mobility). 

You probably need to press from your feet more. For me it helps to think chest out, not just pushing up.

Adam Kirby
5 minutes ago, Christian Nogueira said:

Funny, for me it's the other way around (probably because my issue is mobility). 

You probably need to press from your feet more. For me it helps to think chest out, not just pushing up.

I'm thinking that's part of the reason, when I do a regular bridge it's on the solid floor, when I try an elevated bridge it's on something janky like the couch or chair pushed against the wall.  I don't feel secure and stable and am maybe not pushing with my feet enough.  What I wouldn't give for stall bars.

Christian Nogueira

Ah, yeah, you want to use something that's reasonably stable. I personally use a window ledge (with the windows securely closed). I suppose if your couch is heavy enough it'll work, but I would not use the chair, as that sounds like a youtube video waiting to happen.

Jon Douglas

A wall on which you can do reverse wall walks works fine for me. I have an outside wall with exposed brick which is enough purchase to hold myself up on. I would want to be pretty confident in my bridges and ability to not collapse my arms before i committed to this though :)

Alessandro Mainente

Before this I told them to kick into handstand back to the wall starting from 1-1.5 mtrs from the wall/stallbar and after walk down pole over pole.