This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Olive oil

Started by Si Hoang, February 22, 2016 · 10 Replies · 234 Views

Si Hoang

Hi Jeff,

in the lesson you talk about the quality of the olive oil. I have been using it for years but being a complete noob I always assumed it was all pretty much the same stuff with little variation in quality. So I traipsed along to all the supermarkets around me where I live in Cyprus and virtually all the olive oil I could find was in clear plastic bottles. The only thing I could find otherwise was in a metal container with descriptions of the contents being extra virgin olive oil, superior category obtained directly from olives and solely by mechanical means. Also was cold extracted. The tin also has quality attributes listed which I have never seen before. Things like acidity, peroxide value, wax content and ultraviolet absorption. I am going to guess this fits the Thrive standard of a class olive oil but am just checking to confirm. The only thing I couldn't see because of the container was if there was any olive sediment at the bottom. If it's ok with you then I'll continue using. It wasn't cheap either!

Jeff Serven

Definitely sounds good enough to try it out. Take a picture of it for me. 

Si Hoang

56cb1ad013dad_2016-02-2213.45.06.thumb.j56cb1af3c4a23_2016-02-2213.46.21.thumb.j

Si Hoang

Big enough for ya Jeff? :P

Jeff Serven

Plenty big and yea I think it looks good. 

Si Hoang

Cheers Jeff!

Si Hoang

Hey Jeff,

summer is coming here soon and temperatures are going to hit above 30 degrees celcius daily. Should I be putting olive oil and coconut oil in the fridge to stop the heat degrading it?

Jeff Serven

Is it 30 in your house?

Si Hoang

In July and August it will hit 30 inside at times yes.

Jeff Serven

30 isn't that hot. But it doesn't hurt to refrigerate. 

Si Hoang

Ok good to know Jeff. I thought as much but wanted to check with you.