Can peanut butter or nuts suffice for both breakfast protein and fats?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Peanut butter / nuts
Started by Anita Clarke 67224, February 21, 2016 · 4 Replies · 241 Views
Peanut butter is not a complete protein, so no on the protein. Peanuts are also high in antinutrients (I think it even says in the course to avoid them), so not a good choice for fats either.
As another member suggested, I started putting peanut butter once a week into my greek yogurt just to mix it up a bit. Yum. But basically what Jason said.
I haven't seen peanut butter addressed specifically in the course so far, but I recall Jeff saying somewhere on the forum that it's not ideal. I also mix it with Greek yogurt because I love peanut butter, but in this case it's the Greek yogurt that meets the task requirements, not the PB. Doesn't count on its own. Worth noting that I'm talking about the good stuff, made only with peanuts and salt, not that hydrogenated crap. The brand I like happens to have flaxseed added for omega-3, so that's kind of a happy bonus I suppose.
Anita, I would say its a bit of a stretch. The problem with peanut butter is more with the manufacturing process that Travis hit on more that anything but even if you had perfect peanut butter it would lose in comparison to the other recommended breakfast fats. As a general rule try to get as close to the optimal stuff Thrive recommends and if some of the other stuff like peanut butter pops in from time to time no big deal for now. But, I want to be perfectly clear relying on nuts every morning isn't the best long term plan.