This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout Scheduler (3 Day)

Started by Eddie Ball, February 20, 2016 · 14 Replies · 445 Views

Eddie Ball

Hello,

Sorry if this has been posted but I cannot seem to find it if it has. I am trying to use the workout scheduler but there seems to be a bug. I go to "Workout Scheduler", then "Apply Template".  After picking the exercises and weeks (starting at 1, 5, or 9) I get my first weeks workout which is correct having a schedule as follows:

Wk1: Mon/Fri: Fl/sPL/HBP/RC then Wed: MN/SL/SLS

But then when I advance the workout a week, I get the same thing

Wk2: Mon/Fri: Fl/sPL/HBP/RC then Wed: MN/SL/SLS

where it should be

Wk2: Mon/Fri: MN/SL/SLS then Wed: Fl/sPL/HBP/RC

 

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

GymBud

Giovanni Garcea

I think you need to click on advance workouts

Cory Fair

Not a bug in this case. A and B weeks are physical weeks so if this week (Feb 15th-21st) is an A week it will stay an A week no matter what. When you press advance, it's advancing the week number but it's still going to be an A week. Next week (Feb 22nd-28th) would be a B week and so the 3 week pattern would flip. Does that help make it more clear?

Eddie Ball
7 hours ago, Cory Fair said:

Not a bug in this case. A and B weeks are physical weeks so if this week (Feb 15th-21st) is an A week it will stay an A week no matter what. When you press advance, it's advancing the week number but it's still going to be an A week. Next week (Feb 22nd-28th) would be a B week and so the 3 week pattern would flip. Does that help make it more clear?

Yes that makes it clear, thank you. But the system did not used to do this, and I liked it better that way because I could write out my 4 week cycle. This makes planning more than a week in advance hard. Is there a work around?

Cory Fair

I can appreciate you like printing out weeks ahead of time, but the system isn't designed that way.

Henry Skinner

I preferred the old system too. The new system is, for me,more time consuming to use and forces me to record activity online. I prefer pen and paper.

Maksis Riley

I didn't use the old system but surely it's just as easy to use pen and paper as it always has been, no?

 

Max

Si Hoang

Surely if you want to use pen and paper you can just look at the mastery templates and work out your whole macro cycle no? I find that I have to make small adjustments every week in my program anyway to accommodate things such as having to repeat weeks or missing training days due to real life. I find the new system very customizable so hats off to Cory on that one.

Travis Widmann

Come on, guys, it's not like Cory stole all the pens and paper out of your house if that's what you want to use.

But this makes me curious. Cory, any chance we'll eventually get a monthly view somewhere in the Dashboard? It would be cool to see the visualization of our progress over larger spans of time. Not that I'm aching for it, just struck me as an interesting idea.

Eddie Ball
18 hours ago, Cory Fair said:

I can appreciate you like printing out weeks ahead of time, but the system isn't designed that way.

Well that is a bummer. I would like to see this changed in the future if possible, and definitely like Travis Widmann's idea.

Si Hoang, using Mastery Templates will work but is a lot more time consuming. The only other workaround I can think of is to get week 1 and 3 workouts in Week A and get week 2 and 4 workouts the next week when it is a Week B week.

Cheers,

GymBud

 

 

Eddie Ball
On 2/20/2016 at 2:07 PM, Eddie Ball said:

Well that is a bummer. I would like to see this changed in the future if possible, and definitely like Travis Widmann's idea.

Si Hoang, using Mastery Templates will work but is a lot more time consuming. The only other workaround I can think of is to get week 1 and 3 workouts in Week A and get week 2 and 4 workouts the next week when it is a Week B week.

Cheers,

GymBud

 

 

Well my work-around was working. Except now the "Advance Workout" option has been taken away. I hope the site Admins know they are taking functionality away with these workout scheduler updates and its begging to feel like Apple Inc.: "Do it my way or don't do it."

Cory Fair
48 minutes ago, Eddie Ball said:

Well my work-around was working. Except now the "Advance Workout" option has been taken away. I hope the site Admins know they are taking functionality away with these workout scheduler updates and its begging to feel like Apple Inc.: "Do it my way or don't do it."

Coach, Orench and myself are deeply concerned with helping each student makes their best progress. When we make decisions about the courses, we look at "what do most students need to be successful?" and that dictates our priority of features and overall direction. 

What exactly have you lost here? For less than 5 minutes of inputting workout logs a week, your schedule adjusts automatically for you. Hell, you can even cheat and press the checkbox next to your workout on the dashboard three times a week to mark everything complete and spend maybe a minute total to get the identical schedule you would have had with the advance/regress button. You end up with the same result without any extra effort, while tens of thousands of students have gained a valuable tool. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Eddie Ball
3 hours ago, Cory Fair said:

Coach, Orench and myself are deeply concerned with helping each student makes their best progress. When we make decisions about the courses, we look at "what do most students need to be successful?" and that dictates our priority of features and overall direction. 

What exactly have you lost here? For less than 5 minutes of inputting workout logs a week, your schedule adjusts automatically for you. Hell, you can even cheat and press the checkbox next to your workout on the dashboard three times a week to mark everything complete and spend maybe a minute total to get the identical schedule you would have had with the advance/regress button. You end up with the same result without any extra effort, while tens of thousands of students have gained a valuable tool. Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

Hey Cory, admittedly I don't use the dashboard and I cannot seem to find the check-box's you are referring to (I guess I'm a noob lol). What I like to do is print out a 4 week cycle onto a single sheet I can take to the gym and make my notes on. I'm sure many people like the upgrades, but for me it feels like I'm being forced to use the GB system for recording my workouts (which I have found to be great!) week by week because its becoming more difficult to print a 4 week plan. If you could make this easier I (and hopefully others) would find it useful. Otherwise I will use Si Hoang's suggestion and write a program to do this for me.

 

V/r,

GymBud

Cory Fair

Creating a four week plan and assuming you will never miss a rep or need to adjust it is pure fantasy. At some point, there will need to be adjustments, which is where that inflexible printout will hold back your progress. It may be easier to look at it with a sample scenario:

I have two clients, Client A and Client B who have hired me to teach them Foundation. Both train the same four day a week plan and start on identical progressions and steps. 

Client A checks in weekly with me. Client A gives detailed workout logs of every workout. If there's doubt if an exercise is right, Client A takes a video for me to see that week (form check). If Client A has a question (private forum/support), I get an email or telephone call. Each week, I review the workout log and give Client A changes and address problem areas.

Client B shows up once every four weeks. No workout logs, no phone calls, no video. Client B tells me everything is perfect and that everything has been done according to my standards. 

Which client is going to make better progress in the long term? Even if Client B was an absolute physical freak and did the workouts correctly and without ever missing a rep, Client B still would have made more progress by taking Client A's approach. 

Could you take the Client B approach? Sure, but what happens when you do run into a genuine snag? Without a real workout log to see your training it's much harder to see what are often easy fixes. As coaches we are going to encourage the Client A approach through the software because we genuinely want to see GB students succeed. A good coach will always take active interest in their students' success, whether online or in person. :)

 

Attached below is where on the dashboard to click once to mark the entire day's workout as complete.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 7.38.33 PM.png

Eddie Ball
On 5/7/2016 at 11:04 PM, Cory Fair said:

Creating a four week plan and assuming you will never miss a rep or need to adjust it is pure fantasy. At some point, there will need to be adjustments, which is where that inflexible printout will hold back your progress. It may be easier to look at it with a sample scenario:

I have two clients, Client A and Client B who have hired me to teach them Foundation. Both train the same four day a week plan and start on identical progressions and steps. 

Client A checks in weekly with me. Client A gives detailed workout logs of every workout. If there's doubt if an exercise is right, Client A takes a video for me to see that week (form check). If Client A has a question (private forum/support), I get an email or telephone call. Each week, I review the workout log and give Client A changes and address problem areas.

Client B shows up once every four weeks. No workout logs, no phone calls, no video. Client B tells me everything is perfect and that everything has been done according to my standards. 

Which client is going to make better progress in the long term? Even if Client B was an absolute physical freak and did the workouts correctly and without ever missing a rep, Client B still would have made more progress by taking Client A's approach. 

Could you take the Client B approach? Sure, but what happens when you do run into a genuine snag? Without a real workout log to see your training it's much harder to see what are often easy fixes. As coaches we are going to encourage the Client A approach through the software because we genuinely want to see GB students succeed. A good coach will always take active interest in their students' success, whether online or in person. :)

 

Attached below is where on the dashboard to click once to mark the entire day's workout as complete.

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 7.38.33 PM.png

Thanks Cory. But when I go to my Dashboard I do not have a training log? All I see is “GB COURSES” and “TODAY’S TASKS” listing my PERSONAL METRICS (please see attached image).

Pertaining your analogy I think MOST people will make better progress using client A’s strategy. What you are not considering however is the extra time needed to implement that strategy. Having my full 4 week schedule in front of me as I workout I can quickly takes notes while I work out instead of when I get home. Also, having all that information in front of me on one page I can quickly see notes from previous weeks (and months because it’s in a binder). Finally, as I said I have not been logging workouts online so I may be wrong but how close of an eye do the coaches on GB monitor all the students’ progress? I have gotten help when I asked for it from the GB community, and am very appreciative of that. But at the end of the day I hold myself accountable for putting in the work (in and out of the gym).

I can see these upgrades could be great for many people. For me (and I know I am just one person) I feel they are restrictive (hence my Apple Analogy). Other advantages of having a full 4 week schedule are:

1)      Foresight: Plan for what’s coming up. Anticipate scheduling snags.

2)      Holistic View: Zooming in on each week, its hard to see how the program as a whole works. It may be why people have trouble understanding when to deload/why they are deloading.

V/r,

GymBud

Capture.PNG