This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

How long does it take?

Started by Ben Neal, February 19, 2016 · 3 Replies · 257 Views

Ben Neal

I am really stiff and have tried quite a lot of ashtanga yoga with little progress flexibility wise.

I was joyful to hear that stretch programs only need doing once a week (I have all three since last week)

What sort of progress, as a 42 year old man, might I expect if I keep regular practice for

 

 6 months?

One year?

 

Thanks

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Depends on what you can do now. You'll likely not be as stiff anymore. You will likely also gain considerable ROM. It is unlikely, though not impossible, that you will get into a thoracic bridge, front split, or middle split, but if you take the stretch series and treat them like a yoga session (versus a strength training session), in that you loosen and maintain a position once a stretch is felt but not agony, then you'll make considerable headway. It's best to go easier with these series than bite off more than you can chew. The athletes in the video are very advanced and so dialing it way back at first is what I would advise though it doesn't explicitly say as much in the series.

 

Cheers and good luck. 

 

Also, in the words of most the moderators on here. It takes as long as it takes. There is a reason that most of the people have been doing these programs for quite a while. It takes some time to undo decades of damage and improper training. So, be patient, and then be patient some more. 

Ben Neal

Thanks - very encouraging

I suspect its going to be tough but seeing how the F1 mobility works with the stretch and is all so targeted and systematic I am  feeling hopeful!

I can touch my toes and do a bridge of sorts so im not totally stiff but way to go ..

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

You'll likely find imbalances and weaknesses along the way that you didn't know were there. Continue to be patient and respect that the PE's/SE's from Foundation and Tumbling One (if you decide to buy it) are done with intensity (but not pain), meanwhile, the Stretch Series and all the >im's should be with a maximum effort for the range of motion that is comfortable for you. Don't strain or exert yourself in the same way on >im's as you do with the PEs/SEs, I've given myself some niggling injuries from time to time as a result of not taking that advice. If you can only do an >im comfortably with half the ROM of the athlete in the video then don't stress or push it (as I did) and just respect the effectiveness of time and gravity and continue to work within that range of motion, eventually it will become easy and your ROM will increase. That's the best piece of advice or than always being consistent. Good luck.