This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Best place to find Good Kefir

Started by John Gardner, February 18, 2016 · 12 Replies · 260 Views

John Gardner

Hey I am curious if anyone has found a good place that has full fat kefir.  Everything that I see in whole foods is from lowfat milk.

Tristan Sandler

The black bottles from Wallaby are full-fat. I've been able to find them at Whole Foods and Sprouts. 

Mehmet Yuce

Mrs. Green's has it too.

Jeff Serven

Whole Foods carry a very limited supply of Life Way full fat keifer. It can be difficult to find and often they are out of stock. Take a look at where they keep all the Life Way keifers and if there is one missing look at the label on the shelf and that will let you know what is out of stock and of they have it. 

John Gardner

Thanks for the leads guys!

Ashe Higgs

CAVEAT: not sure how Coach Serven feels about "wild ferments", but...

I have always had good results making my kefir at home.  I don't have any grains at the moment since I lost mine moving back and forth across the US twice in one year.  Upshot is you can use whatever milk you want, so if you have a source for good, clean raw goats or cows milk you can make your own really high end kefir at home.  Particularly concerning the price point for a L of Lifeway Kefir compared to half gallon or gallon of raw goats milk (I used to get raw goats milk from a local urban farmer in AZ for ~$5 gallon).

Downside is the grains basically become a pet and pretty much need daily attention (about 10 minutes each day), so if you're going on vacation, etc. you need someone to take care of them while your gone.

I made a video about it for my YouTube channel if anyone is curious

 

Jeff Serven

Nice video

Ashe Higgs

thanks coach.

William Oliver

Ashe-

That video is awesome. Looking forward to making my own (hard-to-find) full-fat kefir. 

Ashe Higgs
14 hours ago, William Oliver said:

Ashe-

That video is awesome. Looking forward to making my own (hard-to-find) full-fat kefir. 

very cool brother, glad you enjoyed! Hope it helps. Did you find a source for some grains?

William Oliver

My wife ordered some on Amazon or something. Not sure what the specific source is. I asked her if I could just start making my own kefir and she ran with it...

Ashe Higgs
3 hours ago, William Oliver said:

My wife ordered some on Amazon or something. Not sure what the specific source is. I asked her if I could just start making my own kefir and she ran with it...

Ok, cool. If they're dehydrated, it takes a couple cycles to fully reactivate them.

Erlend Hunstad 158922

I was going to ask about this.
Have been making my own kefir for some time now, and also get some raw milk every now and then