This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Order of Exercises - Any particular reason

Started by Kevin Easton, February 18, 2016 · 10 Replies · 486 Views

Kevin Easton

Is there any rhyme or reason for the order of exercises on the F1 dashboard?

 

I do:

FL - SpL - SL - MN - SLS - HBP - RC

By the time I get to RC my shoulders are fried!  Subsequently I am gassing pretty quick on my 3rd set of Week 6 PE1.

I am pretty sure if this was earlier in my routine I would be able to get all the reps.  However, it would likely mean another exercise would suffer.

Is there a particular reason these exercises are in this order or was it somewhat random?

Ryan Bailey

Good question. I do this order as well. Its the same order I have seen since late 2014, I think.

For me,  I simply look at not being able to complete the last elements due to lack of work capapcity as not being able to master them.  Once the F7 work capacity improves, I find switching the order does not matter much, as the limiting factor is the actual movement, not general fitness per se.  As a beginner, I personally like the difficulty of the bent arm elements coming after core and staight arm work because I think in general people's core and straight arm strength may need more work. The first 4 exercises dig into the small key stabilizing muscles that are so important.

However, in regards to program design and reasons for the order, I don't have any answers for you, but am also intrested.

Zach also had a good post under testing for mastery in regards to order.

 

Douglas Wadle

The order can be any that you choose.  this has been discussed on this forum many times in the past.  I think it is fine to put your weakest elements first to try to build strength there, and the work capacity will come with time.  I like doing core exercises and legs first, followed by straight arm, then bent arm.  just personal preference, no magic.  Make sure you're warming up good though, with the recommended warm up regimen.  Good luck!

Travis Widmann

Mods have said you can change the order as you please. Some people like to put their weakest elements in the beginning. I'm sure Coach liked his order for a reason. Maybe for the reasons Ryan said, but I don't know.

I do F7 as well and like Ryan don't find any of my elements suffering due to the longer workouts any more than they would in a split. Might change depending on how my elements progress, but not for a while I think. Once your work capacity increases a bit it won't matter. I don't think it takes too long to get there either. Did you just start doing F7?

Petri Widsten

I think the best way varies from one person to another and also depends on how taxing one's current exercises are for given muscle groups. For example, my sPL-PE5 suffered because I did it with tired lats after RC/PE2-3 and HBP-PE2 didn't help either so now I've separated sPL from the other two into different sessions (I do a F4/3 split). In general I tend to do upper body heavy stuff first, then core heavy stuff and finally SLS. I also like to put first whichever upper body dominant exercise I like to prioritise.

Adam Kirby

I've separated HBP and RC on my split days, cuz those seem to fry my muscles moreso than the straight arm or core stuff.  But I'm not sure it actually matters all that much.

Kevin Easton

I am trying to do F7 for a couple reasons:

1.  I enjoy self abuse :D  j/k

2.  I have limited days that I can get a workout in.  So far F7 has allowed me to get 3 workouts in per week.

3.  This program exposes deficiencies and imbalances.  Doing all 7 exercises at a time has exposed my shoulder endurance.  I also think that doing all 7 per workout, in the end will give me the best results as it's making my muscle adapt to the larger work load.  Sure I could separate some exercises, but part of the program I like is how taxing it is on my body and how it makes me push through it for those last reps.  In the end I hope my workout capacity benefits.

4.  My wife and I are doing the program together.  So far the F7 has allowed us to get all of our workouts in together.  Having a workout partner to push you is always a good thing. 

Travis Widmann

F7 will definitely increase work capacity. One consideration is that eventually F7 at mastery level is a warm-up for ring work, which is... hard to fathom. Not important now, not for a long time, but some of us like to get a head start. I like the work capacity and I like the schedule. I do stretch courses on H1,2 days since those are shorter and less draining, or off days.

Jon Douglas

Have posted on this before, but would like to add (and briefly rant I guess);

May be easier to look at your workout as one block. Having, say, FL work ruin your lats and finding your RC work compromised, is in no way holding you back. That's your weak links failing, because they have been worked directly.

What happens when you address weak links? They improve. What's the fastest way to up your average? Address weak links.

Excellent; you have had a successful workout that has improved your physical preparation overall. Training is training; training is not where you try to tweak every variable to get the best one-off performance. It's about what you can perform consistently to build and progress, not have a single awesome day :) if you can't repeat it, it's not training-- it's a demo reel.

The longer I train with GST the humbler I get about it, and the easier it is to appreciate finding low-hanging fruit in the form of an easily-fixed error, issue, or failure as an opportunity rather than something holding me back.I highly, highly recommend seeing things this way. Improvement is improvement. Shufflin things around so that you can improve 1/7 isn't a patch on bringing up your whole game one notch at a time :)

This isn't to say you can't change the order, I have to occasionally due to facilities and equipment etc.

If you are really struggling, perhaps a split workout may work better for you? F7 works extremely well for upping work endurance and, personally, fat loss, but that's a lot of upper body work in one go, especially if you are new to GST :)

Travis Widmann

Excellent post, Jon.

Jordan Sacks

Thanks Jon, You have just motivated me to crank up to F7