This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SE16 Scaling Question

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, February 17, 2016 · 9 Replies · 493 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

If I don't have a back strap what's another effective way to scale down SE16, SE17, and SE18. I'm slowly realizing (though it's nothing new to me) how to better engage thoracic extension and work mobility/flexibility in a healthy, restorative way and that this must be imperative for the health of my shoulder and my handstand work. So, I need to dial these down, way down (with the wall walks it's apparent that I just don't/won't go as low and will have to focus on stretching the upper back if that's even yet possible), but seeing as I don't have any ledges high enough in my apartment upon which I can raise my legs, I'm thinking of doing them as the scaled down images present from a standing position. My issue, though, is that I'm not sure of how to do this due to my lacking a back strap. Your insights are appreciated. Thanks. 

 

Edit: I mean to say SE 16, SE 17, SE 19, SE 21. For SE 19/21, I believe that the scaled options should worst best (and will approach SE 23 from a similar position).

Keilani Gutierrez

Hey Daniel :)

for SE16, I'm sure you can get away with doing these in a downward dog position and as everything improves put some more weight on those hands.
SE17 = I started these as essentially a back to wall HS with my hands just a few steps from the wall. stronger I got at pushing up and away from the floor, i started walking the hands out and my feet down.
SE18= i got nothing. :P

joking aside, if you mean the bridge pushups(SE19), whats impedes you from doing these against the wall on the scaled options?

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

For SE 19, I can and will do these scaled down. I was being way too stubborn and intense with the stretch series and for a long time now, so I'm hoping to hone in my progress from here on out. Same goes for my PT and shoulder/thoracic/chest/back/life issues. I guess I mean for the harder elements in general (I've added in an edit to clarify my question).

I also never thought of doing SE16 from downward dog. That's genius and absolutely where I'll need to start/hang out for quite some time. 

Keilani Gutierrez

I have't been doing bridge wall walks, to be honest. i've been making up for not doing those by focusing on elevated bridge for 3 sets and finishing with some pushups / shoulder taps. my shoulders arent that flexible nor is my upper back that strong yet. it's been coming together tho for the past 5 months. if my left shoulder werent currently upset, my cold flexibility is the best it's been ever.

scale accordingly and as long as you're body is adapting and moving forward, dont lose any sleep over what your progressions currently are. progress is all that matters here. ^_^

Cole Dano

SE 16 - Down dog is a good option, then graduate up to doing this with feet on a chair.

SE 17 - Two ways: HS entry as an active stretch and over a chair or exercise ball as a supported stretch, I personally found this to be very helpful back when I was learning how to open my thoracic spine.

SE 19 - Push up from the supported version, or just repeat omitting the push up altogether.

SE 21 - repeat any of the above, or as shown in the scaling.

IMO; bridge work likes lots of repetitions, you can always repeat SE 17 as a substitute till such time comes that you see enough improvement to proceed.

 

Eva Pelegrin
15 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

Ibridge work likes lots of repetitions

That's for sure. Bridging is one of those things that if I don't do it regularly... It's so hard to maintain as an adult.

Can't wait to start my Bridge Series yet not so much when I picture the moment of truth and find out where I am. I think I'm building mental strength first since it's been a while for me. I just know it will feel rusty and like hell at first. 

Thanks for sharing Daniel. Reading these posts is always encouraging.

Ryan Bailey

For SE 16, I hooked my toes around the rung of a stall bar. This took weight off the position, allowing better overhead form with 10r.

I think this is the reason I have mid/lower trap DOMS for the first time, now 2 days after ThB series. Then again maybe it was the SE 17 HS entry with attempted walk out on hands to elevated bridge combined with the usual wussy pushups. 

* Also for SE16, standing with hands against a wall can always be used if there is an injury present. This allows for a controlled setting for isometric, cocontractions around a healing joint, stopping the range before the onset of pain.

Travis Widmann

I have to skip some of the final elements myself. I learned right away that if I attempt all the push ups and hip taps, even with very limited ROM, I hurt my shoulders. My body's just not accustomed to this position at all and super weak through it. As Coach has said elsewhere, better too little than too much. So like Keilani I do sets of elevated holds, actually 30 second sets because I fail before the full 60. I'm really liking the holds.

I play with the scaling examples in the course every now and then but honestly I don't bother with those. With hands on the wall I just feel it too much in my lower back. I can engage the thoracic area much better when putting more weight into my arms. Might be different for you, though, give it a shot.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut
On 2/18/2016 at 11:22 AM, Ryan Bailey said:

For SE 16, I hooked my toes around the rung of a stall bar. This took weight off the position, allowing better overhead form with 10r.

I think this is the reason I have mid/lower trap DOMS for the first time, now 2 days after ThB series. Then again maybe it was the SE 17 HS entry with attempted walk out on hands to elevated bridge combined with the usual wussy pushups. 

* Also for SE16, standing with hands against a wall can always be used if there is an injury present. This allows for a controlled setting for isometric, cocontractions around a healing joint, stopping the range before the onset of pain.

Ryan, as my PT has explained to me I apparently just have a lot of instability in the shoulder and this instability makes the joint somehow hypermobile and can lead to a lot of tensions/pressure on the AC joint. So, doing them in downward dog is fine, because I can control the depth. Doing it in a handstand is more of a max. strength effort and, not gonna lie, I had been treating a lot of the stretch series and mobilities this way and am almost certain that that's why my progress has been as frustrating as it has. Anyways, I appreciate the input, I'll keep that in mind if I feel a bit of extra stiffness on the day of doing TBs.

Coach Sommer
On February 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

Ryan, as my PT has explained to me I apparently just have a lot of instability in the shoulder and this instability makes the joint somehow hypermobile and can lead to a lot of tensions/pressure on the AC joint. So, doing them in downward dog is fine, because I can control the depth. Doing it in a handstand is more of a max. strength effort and, not gonna lie, I had been treating a lot of the stretch series and mobilities this way and am almost certain that that's why my progress has been as frustrating as it has. Anyways, I appreciate the input, I'll keep that in mind if I feel a bit of extra stiffness on the day of doing TBs.

Very important lesson learned here.  Now consistently remember and implement.

Mobility/stretching with the same intensity as max strength work is indeed a fast road to nowhere.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer