This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Knowledge check

Started by Mike Bracher, February 17, 2016 · 8 Replies · 315 Views

Mike Bracher

Hi all,

 

First post in the Thrive forum, and I thought a good place to start might be a quick knowledge check, in a similar way we do form checks in the other fora.  I'm mindful that the focus (at least initially) appears to be much more on developing and nailing down basic habits, than explaining principles (which Jeff's indicated will likely come later) - so I hope this isn't unhelpfully jumping the gun (if so might be best to leave until later).

 

I've tried to identify principles/assumptions that support existing habits in my diet, and what evidence/understanding I have to support them (apologies if these are a little basic, but of course that's why I'm here!).  I’ve only listed one to start for reasons of length/post size (if this type of thing is helpful, perhaps other might post similar things?).

 

I've also tried to show the limits of this understanding, so if anyone can provide more detail that would be appreciated.

 

  • Principle - where possible, try to increase fibre intake by eating wholegrain/unprocessed foods (i.e. white as opposed to brown rice)

     

    • Reason - fibre content of diet impacts satiety systems (i.e. ghrelin/leptin) because these systems rely on fibre to ‘see’ calories coming in.  Thus protects against over-consumption.  I also understand that it slows absorption of carbohydrates/sugars, and that this can protect against metabolic disease, but I’m unsure as to how this happens.

       

    • Evidence – Robert Lustig’s presentation on sugar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM – also his recent paper looking at short-term improvements in metabolic health in obese children following reduction in sugar (specifically, fructose) consumption - DOI: 10.1002/oby.21371

       

For those interested in further context, some further info on my diet/background on my own diet is below.

 

Take care,

 

Mike.

 

Background:

 


I've been vegetarian for 11 years, and ate almost vegan for the last two years (ethical and environmental reasons), and have felt fine with both.  Nowadays, I tend to eat as little dairy as possible (although if there's nothing else when we go out, or if someone has cooked for me I'll happily eat veggie).  I’ve also started eating bi-valve shellfish (mussels, clams, scallops) because I’ve learned that it fits my concerns to do so (i.e. they have no brain or capacity to perceive pain, are very sustainable if you buy local and avoid dredged shellfish, as well as being quite nutritious from what I gather).  

 

I would therefore describe myself as someone who wants to (and is fortunate enough to live in circumstances where I can choose to) live as well as I can while reducing the amount of harm I do in the process.  I recognise that this simple sounding ideal often involves extremely complex issues, and what might be right in one situation/context might not be right in others.  The world is not perfect, neither am I, and I do the best I can, where I am, with what I have. 

 

I recognise that Thrive is primarily about performance, and I'm interested to see how I can combine what I learn here with other priorities in how I’d like to live.

 

Jeff Serven

Okay this is funny Coach! I know this isn't a real person and this is you just trying to get me.

Mike Bracher
51 minutes ago, Jeff Serven said:

Okay this is funny Coach! I know this isn't a real person and this is you just trying to get me.

Last time I checked I was real - maybe its my lack of nutrition knowledge, but not sure what's funny?

Interesting stuff in the new goal today about incorporating fats into breakfast - I've been eating a handful of mixed nuts with breakfast for ages, but it was really helpful to know more detail in the fats article.

I tend to eat the nuts with a handful of these things we have here called Twiglets - baked wholewheat sticks with Marmite (Yeast Extract) on them. Apparently a good source of B vitamins...tend to eat them after a bowl of porridge & soy milk.

Julien Le Nestour
2 hours ago, Mike Bracher said:

Last time I checked I was real - maybe its my lack of nutrition knowledge, but not sure what's funny?

Hi Mike, Jeff's style can be abrasive and there is also some history in the past threads in Thrive's subforums of heated exchanges with vegetarians.

Don't be put off by it though, I think Jeff is really open to sincere exchanges with vegetarians and does respect people's convictions when trying to make Thrive work for them.

But in the end, he'll probably advocate diets other than vegetarian/vegan though, for performance goals, and he explained that in other posts, though you may not see them right away because they may be in hidden forums until you reach the Thrive steps for them.

Note for Jeff: maybe being conscious that newcomers to Thrive won't have the same history as yours in terms of past exchanges nor won't they know your style. Having just purchased the program and trying to understand it, they may well feel frustrated (or offended) by some comments—not saying that is the case for Mike, but in his shoes, that's what I'd certainly feel ;-)

Coach Sommer

Mike,

Be prepared.  Thrive is a very challenging course for vegetarians.  This is mentioned clearly in the course description.

You are going to be challenged continually here.  Not due to ethical or moral reasons, but simply because Thrive is about optimizing your nutritional habits.  And often vegetarian substitutions fall well short of optimal.

Case in point, most vegetarian sources of protein are actually high sources of carbohydrates.  For example in regards to chia seeds it requires 12 grams of carbs to obtain 4 grams of protein.  Hardly an optimal source of protein.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Jeff Serven

Mike,

I will get you a response in the near future. I would have responded but it will take a good bit of time to respond to all the points. I like to joke around and Im not a sensitive guy as Julien points out.

I don't have anything personally against vegetarians and actually respect that you stand up for what you believe in but my philosophy is quite different so prepare to "agree to disagree" but, I will help to the extent that I can. 

Mike Bracher

 

2 hours ago, Julien Le Nestour said:

Don't be put off by it though, I think Jeff is really open to sincere exchanges with vegetarians and does respect people's convictions when trying to make Thrive work for them.

 

Julian - thanks for the reply - hopefully that's the case, although...

2 hours ago, Julien Le Nestour said:

Jeff's style can be abrasive and there is also some history in the past threads in Thrive's subforums of heated exchanges with vegetarians.

...while I can't comment on debates I haven't seen, with what I've read so far on the Thrive forums, I'm not surprised..

2 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

Be prepared.  Thrive is a very challenging course for vegetarians.  This is mentioned clearly in the course description.

Coach - thanks, and no problem with any of this: this was my understanding of the conditions when I signed up.  My intention was to see what the programme offered, and then if I decide not to implement something, that's on me - no complaint there.  I did not sign up to a course specialised for a particular diet, nor am I expecting one.  I fully anticipated this to present an omnivorous diet programme, optimised for athletic performance.

1 hour ago, Jeff Serven said:

I would have responded but it will take a good bit of time to respond to all the points

Jeff - thanks, I look forward to reading.

1 hour ago, Jeff Serven said:

I like to joke around and Im not a sensitive guy as Julien points out.   I don't have anything personally against vegetarians and actually respect that you stand up for what you believe in but my philosophy is quite different so prepare to "agree to disagree" but, I will help to the extent that I can. 

Not a problem with disagreement, and no problem with being direct.  Plenty of people (and coaches/admins) on the forums are direct, and don't soft peddle their feedback.  Often a good thing.

What I haven't seen though is anyone else from GB be unnecessarily rude to students who ask questions respectfully, like I've seen you do on some of the forums.  I might not be a world class anything, but I have worked with world class people from other fields (e.g. medicine), who can be direct and forceful in their opinions. I've also studied a fair bit, and also taught in my own field.  In none of those areas have I seen anyone interact with their students, first time...

5 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

Okay this is funny Coach! I know this isn't a real person and this is you just trying to get me.

...like that.

I started this course with a bunch of enthusiasm, and faith in your reputation.  Reading your posts on the forum thus far has knocked both of those quite significantly, because the way you respond to some honest questions at times is just so bizarrely unnecessary for someone of your level of achievement.  I really don't understand what you're trying to gain by doing it.

This is a shame, because I found what came up today interesting.  Lets hope it improves with time.

Coach Sommer

Enough with being overly sensitive people.  

Jeff's comment meant exactly what it said.  He mistakenly thought Mike's initial comment was a practical joke on him by me.  It wasn't and he is aware of that now.

Moving on.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mike Bracher

Fair enough, perhaps that didn't come over well through text.  Anyway, game on then.