Name of This Skill?

Started by Sternford, October 22, 2009 · 10 Replies · 3,102 Views

Sternford

n9dqDBhLt-s

A few times throughout this video (1:32 for example) he is in a complete straddle and just stands up from it. Is there a name for this?

Blairbob

Not that I'm aware of.

Sternford

Ah. Didn't think so but you never know...

Liosis

That's some crazy skills.

Ido Portal

Actualy, I have done some work in the past towards this skill.

In the dance scene it is not as rare as in the circus/acrobatics world.

I believe there is a huge payoff in joint integrity, flexibility, injury prevention, etc to this kind of training. It is basicly a cross pull out using the legs...

Ido.

Sternford

How did you go about training it?

John Sapinoso

I just tried this on wood flooring with socks and failed miserably

:lol:

slow negatives might help, self spotting with a low bar, etc.

iyaites

I would imagine self spotting on rings will work pretty good.

Sune

I allmost got this move, from 10 cm short of a full split to standing... my best advice is, get some carpet and slice it into two, footsized squares. Standing with a foot on each, progress very slowly in the beginning and then your progress will quickly speed up. I was surprised to experience how fast i actually progressed, very fun and satisfying move.

Sternford
iyaites said:
I would imagine self spotting on rings will work pretty good.

I think this^ is probably the best way. The only problem is that I had to use my hands to hold the straps so I didn't fall, but had troulb emaking sure I didn't use my hands to help pull the rings in

iyaites

You can use the intensity of your grip as a measurement. The harder you grip the straps, the more will you be able to help with your arms.