This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Homemade Squash Soup

Started by Cameron Williams, February 16, 2016 · 2 Replies · 134 Views

Cameron Williams

Is homemade butternut squash soup an acceptable dinner starch? Or does the squash have to be in its non-blended form?

Jeff Serven

Well Cam...it depends on what your putting in there with the squash. If someone else made the soup there is a high probability there is cream and flour in there. Most squash soups are cream based and use a bit of flour for a thickener. 

Cream isn't bad but if you think eating a cup of cream before bed is going to do any favors for you. You are wrong. 

I will ask my wife how she does it but I think she blends the squash in a BlendTech (not to be confused with any other blender) and uses chicken stock as the base of the soup. 

Cameron Williams

Ya this recipe uses chicken stock as a base as well - I use "Better than Bouillion" stock base.

There's no cream... Just squash, onions, celery, carrots, fresh herbs, a little olive oil, and the chicken stock.