This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pHS PE1 + iM Form check

Started by Ryan Bailey, February 16, 2016 · 11 Replies · 253 Views

Ryan Bailey

Hi, first form check with these, PE1 + iM. Want to see how they are coming. Any feedback?

Thanks,

 

Cole Dano

Outstanding job on the iM! You're good to go.

Ryan Bailey

Thanks Cole

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

That is compression off which I am envious.

Mike Bracher

Helloooo knees - excellent work!

Coach Sommer

Keep the ribs pulled in during the shoulder flexion.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Bailey

Ok, Thank you very much for the focus point and the feedback.

 

Ryan Bailey

Whoa. Thanks a lot @Coach Sommer,  This. Is. Not. Easy. I have been working to get ribs in on many different elements. Is this form better?

Thanks.

Eva Pelegrin

Nice work. Looks like you've been working on this one for a while. PPT much improved, yay! Shoulders can continue to open, hang in there.

If (sometimes) you're not using stall bars on this element, I would try barefoot pressing more with the balls of your feet against the wall. I've done it on walls b4 and it's hard not to slide down at some point. I think that having your feet position just a tad higher will help you and maybe the hands 1-2" closer to the wall (than what's shown above), so you can better focus on the shoulder opening and the ribs in as Coach said. My two cents.

Coach Sommer

Very nice improvement, Ryan.  

Just a tad more flexion left to achieve and those shoulders will be at 180 degrees.  :icon_cool:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Ryan Bailey

Haha Eva, good feedback, but you're going to get me kicked right out of that gym with barefoot against the wall as well. I have already been warned at this gym with shirt off for a different JC form check :). I know exactly what you mean though and I train this outside of the gym as well, so I can try your feedback. 

Coach: 180 degrees with a closed-chain, active movement like this would be huge for me someday. Honestly did not think that could be in sight with my tight shoulder history when starting GB. (On a side note: I have been progressing for months with the following modifications:

1) toes on a bar and sort of pike assist into end range shoulder flexion/stretch, then complete end range holds for a cycle then,

2) a cycle of eccentrics out of the end range,

3) Now, actively pressing fully into it from the start is a whole new ball game.

Thanks for the motivation!

Eva Pelegrin

Btw, here’s an example of the hands/feet placement I mentioned. Not that I think I’m a "role model" in this matter, but the hands/feet position relative to your anatomy can make a huge difference in the execution of this element and the lines you're looking for.

I remember that Zach said my form looks solid and he’s pretty strict and a "ROM junky" (his words). The only reason I could do this right out of the box is because I had done similar drills in the past and after my 1st post, Coach told me what to focus on: 

On 3/20/2016 at 3:53 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Keep those ribs pulled in and the back flat during shoulder flexion work.