This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shopping Question

Started by Daniel Taylor-Shaut, February 16, 2016 · 9 Replies · 264 Views

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hey Jeff et al.,

I'm wondering as to whether there are any go-to items that one can buy that won't break the bank. I live in New York City and am also in graduate school, so my funds are rather tight. As an aside, I'm well aware of the principles within many of the lessons thus far and had been incorporating them to some degree (although not with nearly the same consistency as Thrive asks of me), so I'm wondering how I might be able to go about grocery shopping without having to give away half a fortune. My main concern is quality vs. pricing. I know that there are cheaper options but often times they're not healthier. The cues you've mentioned thus far (USDA organic stamp, look for no trans fats, etc.) have been helpful in weeding out a lot of the false advertising. I was wondering, given that there was a recent post with a Thrive shopping list, if there might be any way of obtaining an unofficial/informal version for those on a budget.

 

Thanks

Jeff Serven

Daniel, 

Yea, there are some ways to do it cheeper! Go to Costco and grab a giant bag of white rice, macadamia nuts, coconut oil, organic coffee, eggs, Kerry Gold cheese, bag of avocados, the huge pack of organic chicken thighs, bulk frozen vegetable mix, giant salad container and bulk pell peppers, bag of apples. They have good in season fish but right now its just the farm raised stuff.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thanks man. Now to get in good with friends who have CostCo memberships :icon_twisted:

David Fogelson

I'm not sure how it is around you, but around here the Asian markets have some pretty good quality fresh vegetables (and coconut milk) at some excellent prices when compared to most supermarkets, let alone places like Whole Foods.

Sam Andersen

Where have you guys found the good herbs and spices that don't have fillers?  I did some searching online but a lot of the places to show the ingredients of their herbs and spices.  

Douglas Wadle

for herbs and spices, just dry the stuff you buy fresh that you're not going to use.  for chile peppers, buy dried red chiles and crush them up in a food processor.  if you buy seeds (like cumin seed, coriander seed, etc) then you know there are no fillers and you can just grind up when you want to use them.  stay fresh longer.  for turmeric, but the root, keeps for ages in the fridge.

Julia Quigley

Most asian grocery stores I go to have spices very for cheap--but I tend to make my own spice blends to avoid fillers. 

Todd's Dirt (http://www.toddsdirt.com/products.htm) was doing samples in the grocery store the other day and I really  liked their products. Bought the Bayou Dirt and have used it on salmon, chicken drumsticks, and in red beans and rice. Good stuff. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Hmm... so buy the seeds or the roots and then grind. What do you use to grind the seeds a food processor? (Any info on where best and what best to buy in terms of this: seeds and roots, etc.). Thanks.

Sam Andersen

Thanks for the suggestions, I was hoping to find something that would require extra prep to use.  I don't have a lot of time for food prep, so buying a bottle ready to go would be best.

Douglas Wadle

then just buy some spices and look at the ingredients list.  keep in mind, spices usually lose most potency within a few months to a year, so it can get expensive to replace.  

to grind seeds, i just use a coffee grinder.  takes a few seconds.  none of this really adds any degree of time.  it's just a matter of being purposeful, as opposed to always feeling rushed and like you're lacking time.