This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE1 iM - Going to drive me nuts

Started by Kevin Easton, February 16, 2016 · 6 Replies · 273 Views

Kevin Easton

When I was a teenager playing ice hockey I injured my left shoulder.  Essentially what happened is as I was falling I put my arm up to stop me (picture a 1 arm pushup position).  As I hit the ground my arm slid up straight above my head.  Immediately I had some serious shoulder pain.  I went for an ultra sound which showed calcification in my shoulder.  I was then sent for an MRI and in the MRI they determined there wasn't anything operable in my shoulder.

I discovered shoulder dislocates (I didn't know the name of them) and they actually helped with a lot of mobility problems.  For example, I couldn't externally rotate my shoulder at 90 degrees without my shoulder locking up on me.

Fast forward to 2016 and I am working my way through F1.

MN/PE1 iM with my right shoulder is good.

MN/PE1 iM with my left should is brutal.  If I bend down all the way to my right foot, my should alignment is way off.   No matter how hard to try and pull my shoulder into place it won't budge.  

I am 100% sure this is due to the above injury.

Today's workout I focused on slow reps and as soon as my should starting to drift on I stopped the rep and came back up.  I am trying to focus on keeping everything aligned over my shoulder.  The way things are going I feel like I will be able to get through MN/PE1 , but due to this shoulder problem MN/PE1 iM is going to be what keeps my progress back.

I have had my shoulder looked at my a medical professional and they can't fix the "problem"

How do you suggest I tackle this problem to keep myself on track?

I could try and post a Form Check video later this week to show the difference.

Jeremy Huston

The main point of this IM is hamstring flexibility. If you have a shoulder injury that keeps you from performing it with weight, I'd say to do your best unweighted. Or search the web for other effective hamstring stretches.

Cole Dano

I had elbow surgery a few years back which led to similar issues with this iM. 

Start light and be patient. 

The RC Lat iMs were very helpful for me in clearing this issue as well. 

Kevin Easton

Cole, do you suggest doing a full range of motion?  OR stop the motion at the point my shoulder loses alignment? 

 

If if I do a full ROM the weight drifts to the outside- no longer over my shoulder 

Cole Dano

Tough call, I personally went quite light and full rom, understanding that I needed to get the weight in the right place before adding more. As long as you don't overload the weight this is safe. As mentioned above, you can start with just bodyweight.

 

Mikel Perez

When I started I could perform the movement with full ROM only with my right arm. I kept trying to achieve the same ROM with my left arm and focused on reducing leg separation in the meanwhile. I eventually was able to perform the full ROM'd exercise with both arms and started to add weight slowly. At the moment, I've just passed mastery with a 5kg dumbbell and my legs shoulder width. It's taken me 7/8 months but the sweet taste of success is priceless and my earlier ever-painful shoulders thank me everytime they used to hurt.

Keep calm, throw your ego away and listen attentively to your body. It's worth the while.

Your in soreness.

Kevin Easton

I had my wife help me, as I lowered myself I had her push my arm to keep it vertical.  As I rotated my arm I had some nice snaps and cracks in there.  I am going to guess I have a nice buildup of scar tissue in there.

After a couple reps of these forced stretches with assistance it made a huge difference. 

I think with a little work I should be able to fix the problem.