This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Bread and butter ok for breakfast fat?

Started by Guido Franchetti, February 15, 2016 · 9 Replies · 387 Views

Guido Franchetti

I am still used to the notion that one should avoid most saturated fats apart from maybe salmon and avocado... so even if it is listed among the good ones I will ask to double check: Does bread and butter qualify for healthy fat breakfast?

Also, any ballpark estimate of how much nuts? I know the amount is kept free for now, but I really like cashew nuts, and I'd rather not have an excuse for overeating them!

Jeff Serven

Guido,

Avocado is a monounsaturated fat. Salmon is predominantly polyunsaturated. Neither have much saturated fat. Bread does not qualify for any type of fat. But, butter does! Yes, butter counts towards a heathy fat. 

Eat a moderate size handful of nuts and that should be good. Don't go digging in the jar like a homeless person. 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks Jeff, evidently I was badly informed. I have heard many times that one should avoid saturated fat, prefer skimmed milk to whole milk and so on. Could you clarify why you recommend doing otherwise? I am not doubting in any way what you are saying, I would just like to understand why the suggestion of avoiding saturated fats is so widespread.

Jeff Serven

Its covered in about a dozen steps from now. But the gist of why skim milk is bad is because the concept of "skimming" collects fats, nutrients and whatever else happens to be on the top. Milk has sugar in it, its called lactose. By skimming you are un-natrually making it higher in milk sugars. In my opinion this is the problem more so than folks who are lactose intolerant. You may not be lactose intolerant but just not able to handle a concentrated dose. 

Andrei Coval

Hi Jeff..

So if a person is not lactose intolerant is it ok to consume 250 ml of whole organic milk a day? I add full cream milk or cream to my morning coffe + i drink a glass of warm milk  as a snack in between meals. I used to drink a lot of milk in my childhood fresh from a cow though read a lot of articles advising to drop it , since it's only supposed to be consumed as a child. I could replace the milk with Greek yogurt if milk is not optimal. Before i used to avoid milk so i  could lower my carbohydrate consumption only to fruits.

Thank you!

Jeff Serven

 

Andrei Coval

funny and very informative:)

Jeff Serven

Andrei,

Sorry I was laughing so much when you said "warm glass of milk" I had to post that. 

Coffee w/ full fat heavy cream is perfectly fine and so is milk.

My rule on milk is if its okay with you then its okay. Milk is one of those polarizing foods, people either think its a super food or its terrible and will cause cancer. Bottom line is it has a fairly large insulin spike which is a storage hormone so if you were trying to loose a large amount of weight it might not be best. Also, the other possible negative of milk is quantity. Im sure you have heard of GOMAD. Well you can easily drink a ton of un needed calories throughout the day with milk. 

Andrei Coval

Lol... yeah...makes sense .   Though I have omitted the fact that often it comes in a form of whey isolate shake, hate mixing protein powder with water. I think i'll remove it for now since i do want to loose weight.

Thank you, glad i made you lough :)

Sean Wood
On February 15, 2016 at 7:07 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Don't go digging in the jar like a homeless person. 

Lmao I've never had this much fun taking any course.....chattin here is like hangin with my best buds. Awesome movie quote, my wife just said that to me the other day.