This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Possible substitutes for cardio when running is not feasible

Started by Andrei Grigoriev, February 15, 2016 · 5 Replies · 425 Views

Andrei Grigoriev

Hi guys, 

I wonder if it's possible to use low intensity  excercises from foundation that I've already mastered for a short cardio session, say 5x 15 deck squats  plus  Im or tuck ups plus Im. In the city where I live running in the winter  oftentimes isn't a great idea so perhaps doing high rep deck squats or something similar from foundation  twice a week might be a good substitute for running or cardio in general ?

Thank you

Maksis Riley

I like to make a circuit out of previous PEs and iMs for high reps along with some locomotion from M1. I'll do a few rounds and be pretty exhausted after ~20 minutes of work. As long as it doesn't impede on you current foundation work I think it's a great way to build some fitness and reinforce basics.

Max

Ryan Bailey

Hi Andrei, good question.  Your option would work, especially since you are brainstorming options this time of the year. I tend to use those movements in warm up myself.  I have chosen to keep cardio flexible and loose, which is a refreshing addition to the structured scheduling I use for GB sessions;  the primary focus.

Mikel Perez

I like jumping rope for cardio. In 10/15 minutes you're done and is great fun having to jump in different ways with a HIIT App (single unders, jumping jacks, mummy kicks, knees up, hands crossing and many more...) After that I usually have a mobility session with all tose iMs I've mastered and some light stretching. In half an hour or forty minutes I've had my day done.

Karen Zanon

I highly recommend getting a pair of Kangoo Jumps.  They are a blast and make cardio extremely fun because of the rebound effect. They cushion joints and signficantly reduce impact.  You'll work out twice as hard without realizing it just because of the fun factor.  Even running in place or doing jumping jacks in a pair is more fun than the treadmill.  You don't need a lot of space to use them and they work on any surface, indoors or out.  www.kangoojumps.com 

Callum Muntz

Hey mate, can I suggest rowing on a C2 machine? There is a decent amount of transfer between the two skills and it will certainly work all your energy systems with some smart programming.