This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pain in right shoulder.

Started by alexferm, February 14, 2016 · 8 Replies · 313 Views

alexferm

Hi all. 

I am actually not sure what my question is. Will try to describe my problem, and hopefully somebody meaby have some advice on how to proceed :-)

I been experiencing pain/discomfort in my right shoulder during several exercises. I sometimes have a hard time to determine were it hurts, but I think it is the front of the shoulder. I mostly feel it during deadhangs, especially when relaxing to the point that the shoulders are the same level as my ears. I also experience pain when doing RC pe1-im. Other exercises like Hbp progressions and xiaopeng is more like a strange feeling of discomfort than pain, but it is most noticeable. 

When doing shoulder extension stretches during the brigdestretch I REALLY feel discomfort in my right elbow, coach says in the video to be careful and not go further than the elbow can take it,  so i have not pushed myself but rather been taking it easy during these. Wall handstands and elevated bridge is rather OK for about 30s, but when starting to fatigue it start to feel weird and eventually hurt.

Not sure how to proceed or witch exercises I should avoid or do more of. What is causing the problem? Is it the bicep? The shoulder? A bit of both? 

Any help is appreciated! 

Best regards 

Alex

Alessandro Mainente

@Mark Collins coulg give you a reasonable suggestion if possible.

Mark Collins

Hi Alexander, 

Can you post a video of the exercises that causes you difficulty.

 

Alexander Laurila

Hello again, and thank you Mark for taking your time to answer.

Here a three videos of the exercises when I notice it the most.

 

 

 

Screenshot_2016-02-16-09-34-34.thumb.png

I did not feel the same amount of pain as I usually do when I filmed, even though I did them without warmup. 

The deadhang and Rc im causes pain in the front of right shoulder and also I trapezius area.

Used 3kg for Hbp im. You may notice in the video I stop at an angle at the end, that's when I feel a "click" and discomfort.

I also noticed I the picture I took from the front, I look.....crooked?

Best regards

Alexander 

Ryan Bailey

Pic:4

Do you ever sit at a computer, using your right hand more? Maybe a mouse? Even reaching slightly towards a computer or towards a book for study with the right hand can lower the Right shoulder for thousands of little repititions.

This can cause shortening of the Right shoulder depresser muscles with a right sidebent posture as you see. It is very mild in your case but can leed towards Right shoulder pain with overhead movements. Just curious.

Pic 1: lack of Right scap upward rotation. Tight levator scap muscle. Are you right handed?

Pic 2:iM should be with an upright trunk.

Pic 3: this is an exercise that will let you know if your right shoulder depressor muscles are tight.

- Thoracic Bridge Stretch Series

Alexander Laurila
11 minutes ago, Ryan Bailey said:

Pic:4

Do you ever sit at a computer, using your right hand more? Maybe a mouse? Even reaching slightly towards a computer or towards a book for study with the right hand can lower the Right shoulder for thousands of little repititions.

This can cause shortening of the Right shoulder depresser muscles with a right sidebent posture as you see. It is very mild in your case but can leed towards Right shoulder pain with overhead movements. Just curious.

Pic 1: lack of Right scap upward rotation. Tight levator scap muscle. Are you right handed?

Pic 2:iM should be with an upright trunk.

Pic 3: this is an exercise that will let you know if your right shoulder depressor muscles are tight.

- Thoracic Bridge Stretch Series

1. I am right handed! But I do not use a computer that much,  I do however have small children witch I carry around a lot. That might be the problem? As I mentioned in my first post I am having trouble with handstand's and elevated bridges when I get fatigued.

2. Mixed up the im''s, it's the pe2 -im that causes me most pain. But the pe1-im is not very pleasant either...

3. I am tight everywhere :), and I am already doing the bridge series. Is there some excersies I should avoid or do more of?

Mark Collins

Thanks formposting those videos. It looks like your right shoulder is a little unstable. You can see this when you rest in the dead hang. The crease in the back of the right shoulder is deeper than the right and the ROM is greater.

I would recommend that you not go for for the end range of your shoulder. So when you are doing dead hangs keep the shoulders a little more active by not letting your body full drop. Also don't go as deep into your shoulder stretches. You really need to get some strength in that shoulder so your muscle and connective tissue supports you. H1 and 2 will be awesome for your shoulder in combination with Foundation. I would also actively elevate the right shoulder at all times so that when you look at youself from front on the shoulders look level.

It is normal for unstable shoulders to get weird pains that do not always fit a predictable pattern. This will go as you get stronger, which will take several years.

Alexander Laurila

No problem, it is I who should be thanking!

No deep deadhangs, got it!

Already doing hs 1+2.

So basically I should avoid the excersies that causes me pain? Will keep doing what I do then, but will slow down on the TBs, and work HS a little harder :-)

Huge thanks guys!

Mark Collins

Just work in a pain free range. As you get stronger your range will improve.