This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

MN/PE3

Started by Shellberight, February 14, 2016 · 22 Replies · 408 Views

Cole Dano
8 hours ago, Shellberight said:

First time doing these today. Is the compression enough?

 

https://youtu.be/vxyj8CxIa5k

Not enough, basically the same issue as your first PE 2 post, it's going to be about getting more upright.

Shellberight

Cheers Cole, it won't take as long or as many posts this time around :)

Petri Widsten

I've improved the compression so that it now looks like in my straddle ups so I decided it's time for another form check. Toe pointing still needs to improve. I'd also like to know if the hands need to touch the feet or can go past the legs (see photos)20160225_114343_17467.thumb.jpg.626a236920160225_114536_21396.thumb.jpg.e2da9a38

 

 

Cole Dano

For the moment stick with the reach for the toes method. This gets your chest further up compared to the reach past.

From the video, work on making these more controlled, especially the descent back to the bottom.

And, as I'm sure you're aware, really start to work that Pike Mobility.

Petri Widsten

Appreciate the feedback, Cole. Do you mean I need to work on my pike mobility to get more compression/still more upright or is it for another reason?

 

Eva Pelegrin

Petri, good improvement. Progress is progress. We must celebrate every inch! 
Have you tried to lead with your chest as you're going up? Imagine you had a string attached to your chest and it was pulling you upwards towards where the ceiling meets the wall in front of you. See if that helps.

Petri Widsten

Hi Eva

Only trained this for a few times so form is inconsistent. I was trying to have my chest vertical at the top and achieved that (although not in every rep) and assumed that was enough compression if I'm able to touch my feet from that position. Now I'm not sure what the goal is. I'll give your cue a go, thanks for that.

Eva Pelegrin

You got it Petri. I think the goal is still compression like a "V", toes pointed, etc. Now your body kinda looks like a lower case "d" tipping forward, if you allow me the visual analogy..

I also started working on this element myself and it's tricky to find the balance point to make the ideal V shape with all the moving parts coming to a pause. And after the pause, we're not done yet! We still have to decelerate our mass and roll down the spine with control, like a string of pearls, which is extremely difficult for me! But I like the challenge:)

Coach Sommer
8 hours ago, Eva Pelegrin said:

You got it Petri. I think the goal is still compression like a "V", toes pointed, etc. Now your body kinda looks like a lower case "d" tipping forward, if you allow me the visual analogy..

I also started working on this element myself and it's tricky to find the balance point to make the ideal V shape with all the moving parts coming to a pause. And after the pause, we're not done yet! We still have to decelerate our mass and roll down the spine with control, like a string of pearls, which is extremely difficult for me! But I like the challenge:)

Almost correct, Eva.

No need to 'roll down' during the descent.  This is not a Jefferson Curl.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Eva Pelegrin

Noted. Thanks for watching over! As you can see I'm not afraid of making mistakes. Interacting with others is one of the best ways of learning and engraving new content in my brain. 

Just to clarify my lesson: what I saw in the video is that Petri's  mid back hits the floor first while his lower back goes into extension, which is what would happen to me if I didn't think to continue to engage my lower abs and PPT on the way down. So I was thinking that the sacrum should touch the mat first, then the lower back, then the mid back then the upper. Is that not correct? 

Petri Widsten

That's all very helpful, I now know where to go with this. Will report back when it's done. 

Petri Widsten

Not really a form check here but as I'm trying to graduate from a d-shape to a v-shape I thought of slowing things down as much as possible to find the right muscle activation pattern. Do you think this training can be productive or would I be better off with using a normal tempo?

https://youtu.be/yFIXxwWeX5s

 

Cole Dano

I use extended holds at the top all the time with my students who struggle with this element. 

Maksis Riley

If I may make a recommendation that really helped me get more compression in this position. Try pulling the stomach in; lower back pushed hard into the floor to begin each rep. Basically start each rep by going from relaxed through the hollow hold position and keep pulling the stomach in as you sit up.

 

You can see that your back isn't completely flattening before you lift up and then the stomach bulges and it becomes more of a crunch. This is also why you're getting stuck just before your top position; trying to engage PPT when you're already half way up. It's pretty subtle and at first may seem to make the movement harder but after a bit of practice it should help.

 

I hope it does help, it made a huge difference for me.

 

Max

 

 

 

 

Petri Widsten

Thanks for the advise, guys.

Cole, are those extended holds with legs supported or grabbing onto straps etc. (for balance) or unsupported? In any case they should be done with the correct V-shape.

Maksis, that can be a very helpful cue to get the shape right from the start. It's the crunching I'm trying to avoid but haven't quite figured out yet how to do it.

Cole Dano

Petri I've done all of the above. Straps off stall bars are great or just hold the stall bars and try not to let your feet touch, that's a real class favorite. :)

But mostly just stay at the top of a regular rep and struggle to milk a little more height. 

Petri Widsten

Are these better? I've focused on getting more of v-shape than a tilted d and taken out momentum.

 

 

Cole Dano

The actual performance is very good, we'd just like to see a little more ROM, hands up by the feet.

Petri Widsten

Great, thanks for checking Cole. More ROM forthcoming...

Petri Widsten

Would these be acceptable? In a typical rep I touch the middle of my insteps.

 

Cole Dano

I can live with that. As always, I recommend keeping V-ups in warm up for a while when you move on to the HLL work.

Petri Widsten

Cheers Cole. I still need to do the volume training for mastery but after that I'll still do them every now and then like straddle ups.