This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Neck Training

Started by Dylan Robertson, February 13, 2016 · 2 Replies · 193 Views

Dylan Robertson

Looking for some neck strengthening exercises for BJJ to help prevent injury, and gain strength. 

I'm skeptical of Neck Bridges (like wrestlers do) as many have stated they lead to disk damage, among other dangers to the neck in long term use. 

The Iron Mind Neck harness (or any neck harness) seems like a good idea as it allows for Flexion/Extension and Lateral Flexion to be done. Any ideas or reviews?

Any help is appreciated, thanks. 

 

Edit- Just thought about it, but would strengthening the Traps also help? (Stuff like Handstand Shrugs, Inverted Hanging Shrugs, other Straight Arm Scap Shrugs?)

Mark Collins

You answered your own question. The key is to develop the the upper traps, which is the biggest neck muscle. H1 and H2 are perfect for this.

Since doing Foundation and Handstand my neck has grown 2-3cm in circumference from all the trap work.

Easto

I also train BJJ

I was big into weight lifting in my 20's and have a thick neck and large traps.

For BJJ I think it's more important to address mobility issues.  Strengthening the neck and surrounding muscles will happen via BJJ training and other GST training.  If you don't have the mobility in your back and neck it doesn't matter how strong your neck is.  Getting stacked AND having bad mobility in BJJ is TORTURE.  Trust me, I know from my own personal experience.  As soon as I get stacked or forced to get inverted I feel like I am going to get wheeled out of the gym in a wheelchair, LOL.

Keep plugging away with the GST and BJJ training.  Both will strengthen your neck.  But also make sure you're keeping up with mobility so you can get into those compressed positions and get out of those compressed positions without strain on your back and neck.