This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Pasture raised pork sausages

Started by Cameron Williams (Suspect 001), February 12, 2016 · 5 Replies · 199 Views

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I'm wondering if sausages (Bratwurst) are an acceptable protein if they are made from pasture raised pork?

 

I get them direct from the farmer, and as far as I can tell, he raises the animals in very good conditions.

 

I also don't know what he puts in the meat blend (aka sugar).

 

Are these ok or should they be avoided?

 

Thanks!

 

Cam

Jeff Serven

They are probably pretty good but its almost a guarantee that there is some sort of sugar in there.

Cameron Williams

Thanks Jeff. So are they acceptable at this point or should they be avoided due to the likely sugar content?

Jeff Serven

No, they are fine. Stay with them. Just about any form of sausage has sugar in it but, its more than likely a teaspoon per pound. Not that significant. 

Cameron Williams

Will do. They're delicious, so I'm happy to keep eating them :)

Thank you!

Stephen Nevins

Hey. Just saw this post, and while pork sausage is a wonderful source of fat, it may not be an adequate. Source of protein. Bratwurst is typaccly male with pork fat back and very little meat. So choose wisely!