This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

RC/Pe6 Width of Bar

Started by Wolf with one Ear, February 12, 2016 · 4 Replies · 198 Views

Wolf with one Ear

This week I performed my RC/Pe6 work at the end of my gymnastics class.  I usually do them at home on bar mounted to my garage rafters.  Since the high bar was available, I grabbed my handy cell phone metronome and jumped up.  I could not believe how much easier it felt.  I felt like I could stay in the proper position forever, have a conversation, think deep thoughts, etc.

 

While I can't quantify the exact difference between the diameter of my bar at home, and the diameter of the high bar, the high bar is noticeably less thick.  It is obviously easier to grip as a result, especially when I have small hands.   I have never felt that my grip was a major limiting factor with my RC/Pe6; I never felt like I would fall due to not being able to hold on to the bar.  I often due dead hangs from the bar at home well in excess of the 60 seconds needed for mastery, yet 5 sets of 60 seconds for Pe6 has eluded me for more time than I would like to admit.  

 

I am wondering whether I shouldn't test for mastery on a thinner bar or do something to help compensate for the added challenge of a thicker bar.  The video shows the athlete on what appears to be a uneven bar, which seems thicker than a high bar, so I did not want to give to much hope into getting past mastery on the high bar.  

korija

Im not there yet, but you'd think that grip shananigans shouldn't be taken into consideration since the movement is mainly targeted for biceps and upper back, right?

dritar

I've tried on a thicker bar and a thinner bar and surprisingly for me it doesn't make any difference (so no excuses for me :( ).

 

Are you sure that it's due to the high bar's thickness ? Couldn't it be rather due to the high bars springiness giving a bit of an assist ?

Eva Jou

Wolf with one ear,

Bar thickness aside, the different surface and texture of the bar could also be a factor in the security or "comfort" feeling (if there's such a thing) of your grip. Chalk vs no chalk, cold shiny metal, hand moister level, etc. 

However, from what you're saying, the thicker bar in your garage is not a limiting factor for your grip in your 60+ sec dead hang, which would seem to indicate that your deficit is the end-rage bent arm strength position and endurance of the required muscle activation "pattern" at play. 

I would zero in on strengthening scapula depression and retraction in that EXACT position, but assisted. You could simply have your toes barely touching a box/floor to offset a minor percentage of your body weight. This would allow you to bring more focus and attention to the proximal joint actions (max. retraction and depression), so you can sure up that base (literally). Let me know if it helps. I'll be following your footsteps soon enough!

Coach Sommer

Thicker bars make a huge difference in difficulty.

 

You may find it interesting that a high bar at 28mm in diameter is the same exact diameter as an olympic lifting bar.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer