Does anyone have experience with this such as with foam rollers or balls? If so, any recs regarding technique or whether to do before or after exercise or stretching? Any benefit from doing these?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Self myofascial release
Started by Josh Wilensky, February 11, 2016 · 7 Replies · 411 Views
from what i read, doing fascial release is better after strength training, also as better alternative than stretching after workout.
and you do SMR before doing stretching routine, as it improves softness of tissues and therefore, you gain a little bit extra rom before even doing stretching, so you maximize the results.
this is, what i read. I started doing this program this week, will see if it holds any truth. In my humble opinion, its not so far fetched, but i aint no scientist. ![]()
I like to do myofascial release before the workout (specially in my forearms, I practice pole and doing the myofascial before the practice allow me to have a better grip) and the stretch after the workout when my muscles are really warm.
It works for me, but each body is unique and responds in a different way.
On 2/12/2016 at 3:48 AM, Tor Erik Larsen said:Amongst specific issues that rubber ball has helped me fix are one gnarly tennis elbow, shin splints in both legs, and one nasty shoulder impingement (along with PT rehab programming of course).
Any suggestions for lacrosse ball exercises to help with impingement? I'm seeing a PT three times a week for shoulder impingement. He says my anterior delt is super tight/short. I'm doing my prescribed exercises daily as well as extra stretches from F/HS/SS, but I'm looking for anything I can do to get my training back on point!
Thanks, Tor. I am seeing a PT currently; I'll ask him if he recommends additional self-care on top of what I"m already doing.
Just thought I'd ask since you mentioned shoulder impingement specifically.
Ha! Yes, that is a picture of me on the flying trapeze
Circus is fitness love of my life and why I joined the GB community!
My PT is a crossfitter himself and has some of Kelly Starett's posters on his walls, so I'm kind of surprised he hasn't already prescribed self-myofascial release techniques. So far just band work and stretching combined with his manual manipulation of the tissue. I'll ask him on Wednesday and see what he says!
Per my PT's recommendation, I've stopped all GST activities that require pressing/closing the shoulder (so no plank work, scap shrugs, twisting side planks, etc.). Thankfully I can still due SLS, most of the core work, RC progression, and most of handstand. He initially projected about 5 weeks for recovery, and I'm on week 2 of full time treatment. We'll see what the next 3-4 weeks bring; I'm dying to start progressing again in all the elements! ![]()
I'll let you know what my PT says and share any useful tips.
Oh no!! That's a terribly long break. I'll celebrate with you from afar when you can return
In today's PT appointment I asked about lacrosse ball and he said it's a good thing to do, but cautioned me about doing too much. He recommended taping it to one end of a PVC pipe and then bending at the waist and driving it into the anterior delt muscle, then working the arm in lots of positions (overhead, to the side, behind the back, etc.) I did it with one he had taped up in the office and it felt pretty good.
PVC pipe height seems to be important. He's so tall he could get the pipe directly under his shoulder, but I had to get it at angle.